News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Open Discussion / Re: Just Saying -- the soapbox...
Last post by lars - April 15, 2024, 09:01:31 PM
I know this thread is old, but I prefer to use what is established, rather than start a million new threads covering the same thing.
Soapbox time:
Have you ever been on an airline that didn't have ANY barf bags? I was on one last night. And of course, they hit some really bad turbulence, the kind that has those wonderful free-fall drops mixed in. And yep, people started puking. But there were no bags anywhere. And since it's "company policy" that everybody (including flight attendants) have to stay where they are during turbulence, that means nobody could go to the bathroom, nobody could get any assistance, nobody could do anything about puke flying all over. By the time the plane landed, the aisles looked like a crime scene of spent napkins and piles of digested pretzels.
I'm wondering...who is the absolute bungling idiot that refused to put barf bags on the plane? What did they expect would happen when the puke starts flowing? Does somebody hate the poor souls who have to clean the planes? Yet another example of the crippling stupidity so prevalent in the world today.
Build Reports / Hamlet + Delay with mods
Last post by Aleph Null - April 15, 2024, 06:07:22 PM
I built this stock and found it to be a little noisy with my rig. This isn't a criticism per se—my amp is particularly sensitive to noise and PT2399s aren't known for their fidelity.

I received the enclosure as a Christmas gift and wanted to show off as much of it as possible. Label maker labels are encased in clear coat.

The output volume was mounted internally. The "tails" switch grounds lug 2 of the "Repeats" (or Regen) control by connecting it to lug 6 of the bypass footswitch. This grounds the output of the PT2399 when the "tails" switch is activated and the effect is bypassed.

Above is the original schematic with my values in red. R2 and R4 were changed because that's the closest value I had on hand. R3 and R13 were changed to increase the dry and delay output. Unity volume can then be achieved with a lower "Output" setting, which attenuates the noise from the PT2399 and the rate LEDs. C14 and C15 were upped to reduce the hiss in the repeats. They still have that bright bell-like quality that's the signature of this circuit, but there's no burst of white noise that you get at higher delay settings with the stock values.

On the whole, I'd recommend this circuit. I don't think most people would hear the increase in noise floor with most setups.
Build Reports / Re: What does the Foxx say ?
Last post by Aleph Null - April 15, 2024, 03:35:55 PM
Looks good inside and out! How'd you manage to get the graphic over the hammer-tone paint? Was it a stamp?
Open Discussion / Susan Tedeschi's OD
Last post by TNblueshawk - April 14, 2024, 12:35:17 PM
So what we have below is her OD that my guitar tech neighbor ( he is Derek's and Susan's guitar tech) gave me to fix a few things on. To say I'm nervous to not screw it up in some way would be an understatement. It's got a jacked up battery cable that was "hot wired" 10 min before a show as it putzed out. The 9v jack took a Mike Tyson in his prime blow and punched it in which I assume someone stepped on it sideways or something fell on it. The more invasive thing is pulling the Vol pot B100k and replacing it. It works but where the solid shaft meets then knurled part you can actually open it up a bit. There is a lot of play. I would guess that when it was on its side and took the blow the Vol know got bent as well creating this plan in the shaft. I have since decided though since he says she has not had any issues with the pot to just leave it along.

Anyone familiar with Moollon from South Korea? I did some research. Interesting stuff on them. It is clear they really don't want anyone poking around at their PCB.

Global Annoucements / Re: Forum issues
Last post by madbean - April 14, 2024, 02:56:14 AM
I'm not at home now. I'll work on it this coming week. Thanks for your patience folks.
Last post by jessenator - April 14, 2024, 02:42:11 AM
The mobile responsive experience isn't the worst.

Not a tapatalk fan, so I'm biased  :P
Build Reports / Re: Jmk test rig V2
Last post by jimilee - April 14, 2024, 01:36:34 AM
I love it. Mine is also a mainstay on my bench
Last post by jimilee - April 14, 2024, 01:32:27 AM
Still can't log in on my iPhone or tapatalk. Help me!!! ;D
General Questions / Re: Question on PNP Germanium ...
Last post by Aleph Null - April 14, 2024, 12:44:10 AM
I haven't done a ton of transistor tasting, but because the second transistor sends negative feedback to the first transistor in a Fuzz Face, the ratio of gain between the two transistors is more important than the absolute gain. If Q2 is roughly 1.5 the beta of Q1, you should get similar results regardless of what the beta actually is.
General Questions / Re: Cupcake biasing
Last post by jessenator - April 13, 2024, 07:57:40 PM
Quote from: Aleph Null on April 13, 2024, 04:35:33 PMI had a similar issue with my build and ended up reducing R11 from 2k4 to 1k2. It definitely still squishes.

Cool. I'll give that a shot. Thanks!