News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current Lover for non flanging man

Started by claytushaywood, March 12, 2012, 11:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

I have histortically disliked chorus and flanger (even hated it sometimes, even the best chorusing tracks!) of course I used to hate super bright guitar tones and now I love running my blackface pro reverb on treble 10 bass 1!  So i'm changing... yeh... I am in love with my recently completed boss ce2!  I think it has some super brilliant sounds coming out of it.  But I have not been able to master that andy sumners sounds, which I have grown to love over recent history.  I did a little listening and it seems like he might be using a flanger in there, did some research and apparently its teh electric mistress.  I must say, I really do hate that over the top flanging sound where all you hear is whooshs and whirls, where it becomes more of a noise generator than an effect for an instrument.  (no offense guys).  I've heard some pretty sweet demos of subtle flanging sounds that I'm digging, but I can almost get those with chorus.

Basically, I wanted to ask for some advice on this.  should I build the current lover for the sounds i'm looking for when I already have the pork barrel?  And should I do the TZF mod?  I've read that the fx loop thing is more for over the top flanging sounds, but I've heard some slightly over the top sounds that I like much more than your standard mxr over the top flanging...Maybe its tons of resonance that I dislike the most... I'm not sure!

What do you think?  Great pedal?  should I buy the reissue ehx regular mistress, deluxe, build my own with tzf, without tzf, or just use the ce2 clone? 

Any input appreciated!  This sounds like a total tgp post, I'm sorry, but I feel like it could be very useful coming from this forums users!
Thanks!

Scruffie

Build a stock 9V Electric Mistress, it's not overly swooshy IMO nor is it too resonant, you can use it for... almost chorus flanger sounds like Andy Summers/ The Cure.

Very musical Flanger, Gilmour used one too I think...

I would not add a TZF mod, that's probably too far sound wise, besides, there's not a properly working mod yet.

The modern Deluxe Electric Mistress is probably closer to this build than a vintage model circuitry wise so it's up to you if you wanna buy that or build this. If you can afford to and want to, buy one, if you get enjoyment from building and or think you can do it cheaper, build one. You'll have to justify that bit yourself  :)
Works at Lectric-FX

cjkbug

Andy Summers was known for using a roland jazz chorus 120. a solid state 2X12 combo with a really lush sounding chorus circuit built into it. I had the 70 watt version at one point and used it for my clean tone for quite a while. to my knowledge, no one has used it's chorus circuit as a basis for a pedal. now that I think about it, I might try to find a schematic for that amp to have a peak at what is going on. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it's similar to the boss ce-1, since boss and roland are divisions of the same corporation.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

Scruffie

Quote from: cjkbug on March 13, 2012, 04:14:25 AM
I had the 70 watt version at one point and used it for my clean tone for quite a while. to my knowledge, no one has used it's chorus circuit as a basis for a pedal.
This guy has!

It's nothing special, it's more that the amp has two speakers and only one is modulated, probably a bit like using a DC-2 emulates I imagine.

You could use a stereo rig with the CE-2... i've heard a lot about Andy Summers and the Electric Mistress when seeing people looking for his tone, though if it's true or not I couldn't say, can certainly get some of the tones with it i'd say though.
Works at Lectric-FX

cjkbug

Quote from: Scruffie on March 13, 2012, 03:30:27 AM
Build a stock 9V Electric Mistress, it's not overly swooshy IMO nor is it too resonant, you can use it for... almost chorus flanger sounds like Andy Summers/ The Cure.

Very musical Flanger, Gilmour used one too I think...

I agree with this wholeheartedly. the e-m definitely is  less "in your face" as flangers go. without out so much metallic, nasal, jet-like tones. gilmour did use one from time to time. not sure witch era though. all that info is on gilmourish.com
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

claytushaywood

Andy Summers was known for using a roland jazz chorus 120. a solid state 2X12 combo with a really lush sounding chorus circuit built into it. I had the 70 watt version at one point and used it for my clean tone for quite a while. to my knowledge, no one has used it's chorus circuit as a basis for a pedal. now that I think about it, I might try to find a schematic for that amp to have a peak at what is going on. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it's similar to the boss ce-1, since boss and roland are divisions of the same corporation.

I'm pretty sure I read an interview and saw shots of andy sumners using an electric mistress, apparently the article was legit with quotes- we're talking early police years though.  he had a mistress,  not the deluxe version though--iirc.   The roland jazz chorus is a pretty cool amp though, i'm sure he used everything out there

anyways, are there some chorusy-detuney-wobbley sounds that I can get from a mistress that are not found in say the ce-2, other chorus pedals or other flangers like the mxr 117?  i am just talkin sumners and flangers because i've read that you can get his sounds with the mistress.  and i havent been able to get them just right with a chorus.  but when i listen now, i definitely hear the flanging.

I suppose I'll build it!  but man its goin down a long list.  even though I boxed 3 pedals yesterday!

Scruffie

Quote from: claytushaywood on March 21, 2012, 11:01:07 PM

I'm pretty sure I read an interview and saw shots of andy sumners using an electric mistress, apparently the article was legit with quotes- we're talking early police years though.  he had a mistress,  not the deluxe version though--iirc.   The roland jazz chorus is a pretty cool amp though, i'm sure he used everything out there

anyways, are there some chorusy-detuney-wobbley sounds that I can get from a mistress that are not found in say the ce-2, other chorus pedals or other flangers like the mxr 117?  i am just talkin sumners and flangers because i've read that you can get his sounds with the mistress.  and i havent been able to get them just right with a chorus.  but when i listen now, i definitely hear the flanging.

I suppose I'll build it!  but man its goin down a long list.  even though I boxed 3 pedals yesterday!
It's hard to describe... the electric mistress does chorusey sounds but not chorus... I think it's definitley what you're looking for though.

It's not a flangey flanger, but it's not a chorusey chorus... it has a lovely tone whatever.
Works at Lectric-FX

claytushaywood

It's hard to describe... the electric mistress does chorusey sounds but not chorus... I think it's definitley what you're looking for though.

It's not a flangey flanger, but it's not a chorusey chorus... it has a lovely tone whatever.
[/quote]

That is exactly what I'm looking for!  thanks man!

DutchMF

The Roland JC120 is probably the only link between The Police and Metallica. All the clean sounds on their early albums (starting with Ride the Lightning, I think) came from that amp. Andy Summers tones are to die for man, that's what got me into The Police to begin with. But a EHX EM sounds great to with a heavily distorted amp, and not a lot of flangers do IMHO. I'm building a Current Lover to get rid of the separate adapter it needs, so my whole board can run on +9V. Otherwise, I Love It!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

claytushaywood

Quote from: DutchMF on March 23, 2012, 07:35:07 PM
The Roland JC120 is probably the only link between The Police and Metallica. All the clean sounds on their early albums (starting with Ride the Lightning, I think) came from that amp. Andy Summers tones are to die for man, that's what got me into The Police to begin with. But a EHX EM sounds great to with a heavily distorted amp, and not a lot of flangers do IMHO. I'm building a Current Lover to get rid of the separate adapter it needs, so my whole board can run on +9V. Otherwise, I Love It!

Paul

what does the big box deluxe elecric mistress run off of?  does anyone know if the mn3007 is a big sound advanatage on this board?  and is running it at 15v provide a definite improvement in tone and headroom?

whats the deal with the send and return on the current lover?  is that for putting different effects or a delay or something in the loop?

DutchMF

Quote from: claytushaywood on March 24, 2012, 12:12:58 AM
what does the big box deluxe elecric mistress run off of?  does anyone know if the mn3007 is a big sound advanatage on this board?  and is running it at 15v provide a definite improvement in tone and headroom?

whats the deal with the send and return on the current lover?  is that for putting different effects or a delay or something in the loop?

The one I have runs off a 24V DC adapter, which comes included if you buy an EM. I have no experience with the MN3007 o running this board at 15V, mine is still under construction, but will feature a MN3207 and run on 9V, so I can run it from my main power source. I believe the docs on the Current lover say the send and return tabs are for experimenting with TZF, and should be jumpered if you're not doing this, but check this before actually doing so, as I'm not sure.....

Paul

Scruffie

Quote from: DutchMF on March 25, 2012, 11:16:10 AM
Quote from: claytushaywood on March 24, 2012, 12:12:58 AM

The one I have runs off a 24V DC adapter, which comes included if you buy an EM. I have no experience with the MN3007 o running this board at 15V, mine is still under construction, but will feature a MN3207 and run on 9V, so I can run it from my main power source. I believe the docs on the Current lover say the send and return tabs are for experimenting with TZF, and should be jumpered if you're not doing this, but check this before actually doing so, as I'm not sure.....

Paul
You are correct  :)

Although you can stick more than just TZF modules in there if you wanted.
Works at Lectric-FX

DutchMF

Thanx Scruffie, I was to lazy to pull up the docs when typing my reply...... What are the other options for those nifty tabs, then?

Paul

Scruffie

Quote from: DutchMF on March 25, 2012, 03:22:53 PM
Thanx Scruffie, I was to lazy to pull up the docs when typing my reply...... What are the other options for those nifty tabs, then?

Paul
Urmm... whatever really, you could try sticking anything in there, it's just your dry signal path basically.
Works at Lectric-FX

claytushaywood

Quote from: Scruffie on March 25, 2012, 06:59:59 PM
Quote from: DutchMF on March 25, 2012, 03:22:53 PM

Paul
Urmm... whatever really, you could try sticking anything in there, it's just your dry signal path basically.

what's the point of it then?  like i understand the point of an fx loop on a qtron or the delays with them.  Where does the fx loop go between in the circuit?