News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What amp do you use to test/tune projects?

Started by blearyeyes, December 03, 2023, 09:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

Quote from: blearyeyes on December 04, 2023, 01:50:55 AM
Quote from: jessenator on December 03, 2023, 09:41:43 PM
Quote from: jimilee on December 03, 2023, 08:14:12 PM
Have you tried a ground lift yet?

I have, sadly :/

If you can, run a grounding wire from your equipment to a cold water pipe. Years ago I did that in an apartment and it was dead silent afterwards. PEX won't work obviously. If you own the place drop a grounding spike into the ground. Your life is not settled until you are properly grounded. :-)

MacGyverism at it's finest, i dig that!
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jessenator

Quote from: blearyeyes on December 04, 2023, 01:50:55 AM
Quote from: jessenator on December 03, 2023, 09:41:43 PM
Quote from: jimilee on December 03, 2023, 08:14:12 PM
Have you tried a ground lift yet?

I have, sadly :/

If you can, run a grounding wire from your equipment to a cold water pipe. Years ago I did that in an apartment and it was dead silent afterwards. PEX won't work obviously. If you own the place drop a grounding spike into the ground. Your life is not settled until you are properly grounded. :-)

I'll give'r a try this week! Thanks.

Aleph Null

I use a Fender Excelsior with an Eminence Big Ben in it. It's not a very common setup...but it's the only amp I have. It's a pretty honest amp, though. If I can make it sound good through that, I can make it sounds good through anything else.

Timko

I've got a 5w Crate tube amp that I've modded to be a good clean amp for testing in the work room.  When running it through the paces for actual performance, I use an old '59 Magnatone because I love those warm tweed sounds (and I don't have a low power tweed twin) as well as a 70's Gibson G105 because it sys clean forever.

blearyeyes

Quote from: Aleph Null on December 04, 2023, 04:26:09 PM
I use a Fender Excelsior with an Eminence Big Ben in it. It's not a very common setup...but it's the only amp I have. It's a pretty honest amp, though. If I can make it sound good through that, I can make it sounds good through anything else.

I was just looking at one of those on Reverb. Pre-amp on top and power at the bottom? I think it had a 15" spkr in it. Pretty odd but interesting. Is that the one?

blearyeyes

Anyone know about the Supro Delta King?

I wouldn't use the FET Pigtronix distortion, actually a minus for me...
I have no idea what they are like...

Aleph Null

Quote from: blearyeyes on December 06, 2023, 03:31:23 AM
I was just looking at one of those on Reverb. Pre-amp on top and power at the bottom? I think it had a 15" spkr in it. Pretty odd but interesting. Is that the one?

That's the one! I've swapped the tone switch for a tone knob and added a tremolo depth toggle, as well as an input cap toggle on the "accordion" input.

The stock speaker is kinda honky (surprising for a 15"). Fender did offer a version with an Eminence Legend 1518 as well. Those ones have pastel tolex instead of brown.  A 15" speaker in a open-back cabinet can really fill a room if you position it in a corner!

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: madbean on December 03, 2023, 05:58:33 PM
'76 Champ. Love that amp.

to verify functionality and proof of life I use the JMK test rig on my bench, but for actually rocking before boxing I use an actual amp. my new squeeze is a 73 vibro champ that I bought a few months ago. I used to have a 77 champ but sold it and always regretted it. I recapped this one and put a 10" speaker in it.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Haberdasher

I got a tweaker 15 head that uses 6V6. I actually like it quite a bit.
I also have a wee ruby headphone amp I built that is very useful for close listening when setting trimmers and such.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

blearyeyes

Tweaker's are really cool. Interesting idea using headphones for settings. I could use my DAW's Scarlett i/o for clean headphones. Food for thought. I have a Gallien Kruger RG400. It's a solid state 200Watt head.   I bought it on the cheaps because I used one for many years live. I need to re-capp it, it's got a buzz and it's really old. It rocks with a 4x12...... slight overkill for bedroom use. :-))

jimilee

I kind of regret selling my tweaker, it's very versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Haberdasher

The tweaker sounds pretty sweet on its own & works well with pedals, so I'm happy with it. I've also had it for quite some time now and I can use it without thinking too hard about anything, lol. Not getting rid of it any time soon. Plenty of good amps out there though!

I've toyed with the idea of an Orange 120W solid state head in years past. These days I've been gassing for something from Quilter but I'll talk myself out of buying in the end. I don't have a lot of extra splash right now, and truth is I just don't need any new gear. One of these days though...  :P
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

blearyeyes

Quote from: Haberdasher on December 08, 2023, 04:27:19 AM
These days I've been gassing for something from Quilter but I'll talk myself out of buying in the end. I don't have a lot of extra splash right now, and truth is I just don't need any new gear. One of these days though...  :P

Bought a Quilter from Pat Quilter 1970? Used it forever.