Main Menu

Recent posts

Global Annoucements / Re: Forum issues
Last post by lars - May 03, 2024, 08:35:28 PM
Oh, no! What happened to "Donut"?
Mmm...donut.
General Questions / Re: PCB Design Basics
Last post by storyboardist - May 03, 2024, 07:01:18 PM
If I can toot my own horn for a sec, here's an Eagle tutorial I did a few years back that might be helpful.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGCa8FTMTY-kNAt2E9UarHVlrpjTFkNGu&si=6Pa4XarE8ygW4uxi
General Questions / Re: PCB Design Basics
Last post by jessenator - May 03, 2024, 04:51:16 AM
I can't speak for Brian :) and I'm certainly no expert.

I've found it to be a balancing act between signal path and my own aesthetic preference. My first pass is usually like a rough draft of a writing assignment: it looks like $#!@, but it's something. Then you can toy with placement, where are your airwires going. Brian illustrates it best in his PCB layout guide: if your airwires cross in all manner of ways, you're gonna have a bad time.

But even when it's crap, I find that routing as much as I can in one layer is the best way to "see" where you can more optimally place things. Again, not an expert, just mucking about mostly

This was the first super-fuzz I committed to fab: more spaghetti than a cheap italian restaurant, lots of vias, scattershot part placement, and it really doesn't fit into a 1590B unless it's one and done (i.e. poorly)

After banging my head against the screen a lot, I eventually got this one. Not perfect; the traces are still a bit spaghetti, but it looked nice on the surface at least.

Brian also did a timelapse of schematic and board layout a bit ago, which is cool:
General Questions / Re: Transistor Question
Last post by skypn - May 02, 2024, 10:55:11 PM
Thank you for helping me eliminate a variable.
General Questions / PCB Design Basics
Last post by skypn - May 02, 2024, 10:52:32 PM
Ok, I'm getting kinda close to figuring out parts layout.
While studying a few of Madbeans layouts, I have noticed the clustering of resistors, diodes, even caps. Are these clusters designed solely by trial and error, or are they laid out by principles that one can learn, and even follow, to better their layouts.
If the later proves to be the case, would one please point me to the proper reference materials. If the former proves to be the case, cross you fingers 8)
TIA
Build Reports / Re: One Chip Pony — Comparator...
Last post by Aleph Null - May 02, 2024, 09:02:16 PM
Quote from: jessenator on May 02, 2024, 04:35:56 PMOh I meant boards that come in JLCPCB's blue delivery box haha. But maybe you went with OshPark.

The first few pcbs I had were totally bogus or super noisy.

These are from OSHPark. I have stuff coming from JLCPCB, but that's a story for a different thread!  ;)

It was definitely a relief to discover there was only one small error on this first board—I swapped the ground and lamp pads that go to the bypass switch—that's easily fixed!
General Questions / Re: old GPCB build doc perchan...
Last post by jessenator - May 02, 2024, 08:17:57 PM
Quote from: storyboardist on May 02, 2024, 06:18:56 PMJust from peeking at the schematic I'd say C8-9 we added to add little filtering. Should be fine to just omit them in your build. Or you can add them piggy-back to R4 and R2 respectively.

Awesome, thanks for for the clarification!
Global Annoucements / Re: Forum issues
Last post by aion - May 02, 2024, 07:32:19 PM
It looks like the caching issues are back. If the hosting got switched then I would guess the caching settings need to be adjusted again.
General Questions / Re: old GPCB build doc perchan...
Last post by storyboardist - May 02, 2024, 06:18:56 PM
Just from peeking at the schematic I'd say C8-9 were added to add a little filtering. Should be fine to just omit them in your build. Or you can add them piggy-back to R4 and R2 respectively.
Build Reports / Re: One Chip Pony — Comparator...
Last post by jessenator - May 02, 2024, 04:35:56 PM
Quote from: Aleph Null on May 02, 2024, 02:54:43 PMDoes the Blue Box use a comparator? It certainly sounds like it could be.

Oh I meant boards that come in JLCPCB's blue delivery box haha. But maybe you went with OshPark.

The first few pcbs I had were totally bogus or super noisy.

Glad it's working for you.