News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sea Urchin Resistor Question

Started by thetrend77, February 21, 2012, 06:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetrend77

I'm in the process of making a Sea Urchin and I don't have a 33R resistor for R7. What would happen if I put three 10R's in series in its place? That would only be 30R, I know, but would that be close enough?

Also, I did something similar with the 360k resistor. I put two 180k's in series. That DOES work, right (sorry, noob question lol)?

irmcdermott

Quote from: thetrend77 on February 21, 2012, 06:12:38 PM
I'm in the process of making a Sea Urchin and I don't have a 33R resistor for R7. What would happen if I put three 10R's in series in its place?

You would have around ~30R resistance, depending on tolerance :)

thetrend77

Yeah, I'm just wondering if that would be ok or if I actually need exactly 33 ohms.

irmcdermott

Quote from: thetrend77 on February 21, 2012, 06:15:45 PM
Yeah, I'm just wondering if that would be ok or if I actually need exactly 33 ohms.

I'd solder some wires to the PCB where that resistor is and connect it, with the resistors in series, to a breadboard and see what happens. If you measure a bunch of those 10R resistors and pick three that get the closest closest to 33R, you should be fine.

madbean

The value is not critical. It's just a little filtering for the PS. You can use whatever closest value you have, 22R, 47R, 100R will all work fine.

thetrend77

Quote from: madbean on February 21, 2012, 06:40:29 PM
The value is not critical. It's just a little filtering for the PS. You can use whatever closest value you have, 22R, 47R, 100R will all work fine.

Great! Thanks, Brian!

jimmybjj

That resistor creates a high pass filter, attempting to subdue supply noise, right?
Pcbs no longer available