News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A different way of doing Face Plates

Started by billstein, January 29, 2014, 05:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Not sure if this should go in the Build Reports or not.

Been playing with different ways to do Face plates. I like this so I thought I'd share.

I used magazine paper onto black FR4 but what sets this one apart for me is the two tone. Part of it being tinned silver and the rest being the copper from the FR4. I used liquid frisket to protect the copper I didn't want to be tinned. Same stuff I use to use when I airbrushed. You paint it on and wait for it to dry then peal it off.

I finished it up with Envirotex. The photos don't show how nice the Envirotex looks against this black FR4.

Anyway, thought I'd share because I haven't seen anybody do this yet (using frisket) and I think there is some potential here. Plus, I want to give something back to the community and since I don't know anything about designing circuits yet, it will have to be something like this.

The blue showing through the holes is painters tape.

selfdestroyer

Wow man, this is excellent. You got some pro results there. Can't wait to see more of it.

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Thomas_H

Thats very impressive!

I love Paisley pattern.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

hoodoo

That looks absolutely fantastic mate, can't wait to see the finished pedal

Stomptown

Dude! This is just amazing!!! So impressive on so many levels!

muddyfox

blow(this.mind);

A few questions, though
-do you have the plate raised when you do ET and it overflows or is it plain surface tension while it dries?
-how do you attach the plate to an enclosure later on? does it matter if it's plain aluminum or powdercoat?
-how do you drill out holes so the ET doesn't lift?

alanp

The ingenuity around here constantly amazes me :) (I'm starting to think I might have to start commissioning Juan to do my enclosures or something, I'm starting to feel bad!)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Ettore_M

Damn dude! This is out of this world!
Well done! ;D

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

Cortexturizer

wanna hear more about this and see it on a pedal, I love it. amazing
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

Gledison

If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

Haberdasher

amazing!
it almost looks like the edges are routed/rounded off, and the etch goes around the sides.  is that just an optical illusion from the et?
btw, i can't wait until someone uses some liquid frisket on a whisker biscuit!
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

pryde

Outstanding  :)

Looking forward the completed build.

billstein

Thank you everybody for your kind words.

Quote from: muddyfox on January 29, 2014, 08:18:05 AM
blow(this.mind);

A few questions, though
-do you have the plate raised when you do ET and it overflows or is it plain surface tension while it dries?
-how do you attach the plate to an enclosure later on? does it matter if it's plain aluminum or powdercoat?
-how do you drill out holes so the ET doesn't lift?

1. I got the idea of Envirotex on a faceplate from rullywowr and his beautiful Queen of Bone build. I had the same question about raising the plate. I did raise it up and let the Enviro flow over the side a bit. It was pretty easy to cut off with a utility knife.

2. I've done a lot of face plates and never worried about attaching them with anything. The nuts from the stompswitch and pots hold it in place.

3. I haven't drilled the holes out yet. I did recently do a box though with Envirotex over a waterslide and drilled that out with a stepbit and there was no problem of lifting. Hopefully I'll have the same luck with this.

billstein

Quote from: alanp on January 29, 2014, 08:26:09 AM
The ingenuity around here constantly amazes me :)

That's true. I feel like we are all constantly pushing each other in a good way towards excellence. I'm amazed at the creativity here.

What I love about this forum is how willing people are to help one another with new ideas. I'm a Pastor now but worked as an artist for many years and it was so competitive. If anybody came up with something new they kept it hidden because it might give them an edge. It seems like people can't wait to help others here. Very nice.