News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Resistor in Series with Pot?

Started by Haberdasher, July 27, 2010, 06:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haberdasher

I have a 10kB pot here I'd like to use in a FatPants, so I need it to be 50kB.  I guess all I have to do is solder a 40K resistor somewhere to achieve that?

So my question is- what is the proper way to connect a resistor in series to a pot to increase its resistance?  Literally, where do I solder it?

tia
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jkokura

that's not quite the way it works...

If you do that, the effective range of the pot will only be from '40-50'k ish... depends on the pot. But essentially, you'd put it in series with the connection to the 3rd(? I think...) lug of the pot.

However, that won't really accomplish the same thing as using a 50k pot. it will not work the same, or even close. However, you can make a pot get smaller - by using a resistor connecting to lugs 1 and 3 you can change the value of the pot (i.e. 100k to 50kish). This WILL change the pattern of the pot (i.e. no longer truely log, but some sort of hybrid). There are calculators out there that will describe both what will happen and what the value with be.

You can't 'increase' a pot's value. You can add a resistor in series to change the end result, but AFAIK never increase the value. Just decrease.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Haberdasher

Thanks for the info.   :)
I knew the way to decrease the value of a pot, so I assumed it would be possible to increase it as well.  Looks like I better just grab a 50k pot.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS