News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What medium for etching enclosures?

Started by pryde, April 06, 2013, 10:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

After searching countless threads here on various etching techniques and materials I found that the laser printer of choice seams to be the Samsung ML2525. I found a used one at a decent price so I think I may grab it.

So I am primarily wanting to etch enclosures at this point (I will continue to order the top-notch pcbs from Haberdasher). My question is what paper/substrate seams to give the best results for enclosures? Looks like the options are:

-magazine paper
-press n peel blue transfer
-Sterling ultra-digital
-local photo gloss paper (office depot, etc.)

Also, where do you get your suggested paper? How about the etchant as well?

Thanks for the help

selfdestroyer

I have used HP Glossy Presentation Paper (Office Depot/Max $6.99) and it have given me some great results. I use that paper exculsively for my PCB etching also.

Here is a quick tutorial I made for a buddy for PCB etching.

http://music.codydeschenes.com/?page_id=1388

As far as enclosure etching, I found it worked best for me to sponge on the etchant and use a light rubbing motion.

This was my first enclosure etch.

pryde

Thank you, the turorial is very helpful. I may try some of the office depot paper first and see how it works out.

jimilee

Quote from: selfdestroyer on April 07, 2013, 01:50:37 AM
I have used HP Glossy Presentation Paper (Office Depot/Max $6.99) and it have given me some great results. I use that paper exculsively for my PCB etching also.

Here is a quick tutorial I made for a buddy for PCB etching.

http://music.codydeschenes.com/?page_id=1388

As far as enclosure etching, I found it worked best for me to sponge on the etchant and use a light rubbing motion.

This was my first enclosure etch.

You got a tutorial on how you did the enclosure?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Stomptown

I use the press n peel and get great results. It's a little expensive though do I would try the HP paper first. If you just can't get it then PnP should be a great alternative. It does not smear which is nice. I have only tried magszine paper and had a terrible time with it. I am intrigued by the HP suggestion though. Could save me a lot of $$$. I will have to check out Cody's tutorial and give it a go.

One piece of advice I have is be careful with aluminum. I had an out of control ectothermic reaction once (spontaneous combustion) and it was pretty scary! Just make sure you cool it down a lot and realize that the more bare aluminum exposed to acid the greater the reaction. FYI I was using ferric chloride PCB enchant...

Jon

selfdestroyer

Quote from: jimilee on April 07, 2013, 03:13:50 AM

I don't but I should make one. Maybe I can snap some shots this week and make one. I am still learning myself but I would not mind posting my progression also.

I know one thing for sure.. make sure you start with a clean enclosure and also use 600 grit sandpaper on the surface you are etching. The smoother and flat the surface is that you are etching the better the graphic/design will turn out.

Hangingmonkey

Great tutorial, thanks. Ive never had much luck with toner transfer

Stomptown

Quote from: selfdestroyer on April 07, 2013, 06:58:44 AM
Quote from: jimilee on April 07, 2013, 03:13:50 AM

I don't but I should make one. Maybe I can snap some shots this week and make one. I am still learning myself but I would not mind posting my progression also.

I know one thing for sure.. make sure you start with a clean enclosure and also use 600 grit sandpaper on the surface you are etching. The smoother and flat the surface is that you are etching the better the graphic/design will turn out.

I would also get some model paint and mask over as much of the toner as possible after you've transferred it. It takes time and patience but it really helps avoid pitting...

pryde

Are you saying to paint over the entire enclosure surface after you transfer the image/graphic and remove the paper? Not quite sure here. thanks in advance for clarification.

hammerheadmusicman

I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

ch1naski

I have only one etched enclosure behind me (etching my second today), and I had a hell of a time using a Brother printer. Switched to an HP and got it on the first try, even did a run of pcb's.

I used magazine paper, for both. Haven't tried the glossy paper yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

Stomptown

Quote from: pryde on April 07, 2013, 12:04:45 PM
Are you saying to paint over the entire enclosure surface after you transfer the image/graphic and remove the paper? Not quite sure here. thanks in advance for clarification.

Oops! I guess I didn't explain that too well! I always transfer my image to the enclosure or faceplate and then paint over the toner getting as close to the graphics/text as possible. You need a fine tip paint brush to do this. This adds extra protection when you put it in the etchant. The reaction with aluminum is much more intense, and without doing this you are more likely to have etching occur in areas that were covered with toner (pitting).

Here is an example of what it looks like before I etch:

It is worth noting that pitting can look really cool! If you want a grungy/aged look then do not paint over the enclosure and you will likely get some degree of pitting. How much, I'm guessing, is dependent on the quality of toner and time in etchant...

Also check out this tutorial (there's tons of great advice): 

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/MarkMs-Gallery/album24/

pryde

Thanks for clarifying, I love that pedal you did. This idea for my first etch might look nice with a grungy look so I may not paint it. I will be tackling it this week. thanks for all the help

danwelsh

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on April 07, 2013, 02:34:38 PM
There is a killer tutorial over on DIYSB, by a guy called slade of 'ruz guitar gear'.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3565959/%5BTutorial%5D%20Making%20a%20Multicolor%20Etching.pdf

George

That's an awesome tuitorial...i'm going to give etching a shot with my next enclosure :)

hammerheadmusicman

no problemo, it is a great tutorial! He makes it look too easy though! :/
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..