News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New toy arrived today

Started by stevie1556, February 12, 2014, 08:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevie1556

I've wanted to upgrade my soldering iron for quite a while as I just have a cheap Antex 25W one which I've used for several years now. After sitting on the fence for a few months, I finally got one! I felt like a kid on xmas day when it arrived!

With my new found SMD addiction, I was going to just order a hot air gun, but managed to find one with a soldering iron for not much more.

The cheapest units I've found here start at £310, which I just can't justify at the moment, but from this Chinese seller on eBay, it was £66 with free delivery. What really swung it was that they have a warehouse here so delivery onky took 2 days. Absolute bargain!

I've had a very quick play with it, and it's so easy! Both the hot air gun and soldering iron are variable temp, and heat up in seconds! My Antex one took nearly 5 minutes to be upto temp. Still need to find out the ideal temps and fan speed to run it at. Can't wait to have the time to play with it more in a few days!

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

Govmnt_Lacky

Sweet deal stevie!  8)

Now use some of that money you saved and get yourself a table so you can stop working on the floor!  ::)  ;D

Leevibe

Super cool!  I was looking at something similar on Amazon last week.  I'm not doing SMD but I love having the integrated heat gun for heat shrink.  Plus it looks amazing with dials, switches, indicators.  Keep us posted as to how well it holds up.

muddyfox

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 12, 2014, 08:52:57 PM
Now use some of that money you saved and get yourself a table so you can stop working on the floor!  ::)  ;D

Haha!
I'm looking at that picture and can't help thinking "dood, that's an expensive doorstop you've got there!"  ;D
I'm guessing the nightstand got too cramped?  ;)

billstein

;D  Card table of course to capture that mojo goodness.

stevie1556

Quote from: billstein on February 12, 2014, 10:24:10 PM

;D  Card table of course to capture that mojo goodness.

I've got some NOS mid 60's wood from a now extinct, exotic tree that only ever grew on a tiny uninhabited island. Gonna to make the best sounding table ever when you knock on it!

Quote from: muddyfox on February 12, 2014, 09:19:53 PM

Haha!
I'm looking at that picture and can't help thinking "dood, that's an expensive doorstop you've got there!"  ;D
I'm guessing the nightstand got too cramped?  ;)

It needs a good tidy! I'll get it on there eventually! Between various circuit boards, tools, off cuts of wire, old components, etc, there isn't any room for it yet! It's currently sitting on top of my combo amp!

Quote from: Leevibe on February 12, 2014, 09:16:50 PM
Super cool!  I was looking at something similar on Amazon last week.  I'm not doing SMD but I love having the integrated heat gun for heat shrink.  Plus it looks amazing with dials, switches, indicators.  Keep us posted as to how well it holds up.

I'm going to give it a really good run on my days off. So far  I've found you don't need to put the components down too neatly as when the solder is molten, the surface tension pulls the component into place everytime.

A friend bought one of the cheaper ones from eBay, it blew up as soon as he turned it on soni was kind of nervous about using it.

Sweet deal stevie!  8)

Hey, the burnt carpet look is going to become fashionable soon!

culturejam

Looks like a real nice unit.  :)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

mattlee0037

Have you had time to use this lately?

stevie1556

Quote from: culturejam on February 13, 2014, 06:12:58 PM
Looks like a real nice unit.  :)

Cheers bud :)

Quote from: mattlee0037 on February 26, 2014, 11:01:29 PM
Have you had time to use this lately?

Yep, and it's amazing. SMD soldering takes seconds, and solding wire is so much easier. I just wish I upgraded months ago.

I've actually just bent some 3mm acrylic round some boxes using the hot air gun in an attempt to make a drilling template. Hopefully when it's drill, I'll be abke to slide it onto a box, and the drill holes will line up perfectly.

Gledison

Damn it, you just posted this 1 week too late.
:(
It looks very good for the price. I´ve seen lots of Chinese ebayers that have some "contacts" in UK, so the delivery is just in a couple of days instead of weeks...niiice!
Enjoy ur new toy and dont burn the carpet :P
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

stevie1556

Ah I'm sorry! Only just seen the replies!

I take it you have just ordered one. Which one did you get?

I don't know if it's the same seller but with different accounts, but they have a warehouse down in Portsmouth so delivery takes about 2 days. Just need to find a source of new solder iron tips though.