News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

14mm lighted pots.

Started by TNblueshawk, July 03, 2023, 01:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNblueshawk

So can these be used to light several pots or is it just for one?

If so how does the wiring work from one pot to the next?
John

aion

If they're this type with the clear shaft, they don't have their own LED - you actually mount the LED underneath them and it illuminates the whole shaft. So the LED would just be included as part of the PCB layout and you can chain them together however you like.

TNblueshawk

That's them but I bough Bean's board so I'm unclear how I chain one of his boards to the other so both pots light up.

Now I realize my subject post is misleading. I should have said Bean's boards and how to chain those. My bad.
John

jwin615

Are you wanting to use multiple pots across multiple boards? Or same board?
Either way. It's going to be difficult unless they are designed for it. The pcb footprint is different. They'll almost fit in a 9mm footprint, but I wasn't happy with the results post mangling.  Actually pitch Brian on if he uses them again. Include parallel pads for 9mm on the board as an alternative.

jwin615

If your question is in regards to the bypass/footswitch board, just jumper the CLR and use the CLR on the main board, or vise versa.

TNblueshawk

I bought these on here

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/_folders/BreadBuddies/pdf/14mm.pdf

So each board goes to one pot. I have my on/off LED and then I want both pots to light up when the pedal is kicked on. in the past I believe I recall boards like that where you would daisy chain each pot board to the other and then hook up to the 9v PS. i'm trying to figure out how do daisy chain the pot boards together so both pots light up.

I guess i could run each pot to the 9v supply and stack it there.
John

jwin615

Ah, gotcha. Run 1 board to the led pads and daisy chain the second board off of the first(or run it to the led pads as well).
Use the CLR on the 14mm board and jumper any CLR on your pcb. It's best practice for each led to have its own CLR.

TNblueshawk

John

jwin615

Sure thing. If you need any more clarity, chime back in.
Also, if 6ou use a footswitch board that utilizes a trimmer for the CLR, you can under size your CLRs on the baby pot boards and have the overall brightness be adjustable.
Something I've started doing. Especially for builds for others.
An example would be, if you were going to use a 4k7 resistor, use individual CLRs(on the baby board) of 2k-3k(varrying depending on LED being used, use the lowest "safe" CLR value for that type of LED), then use a 2k trimpot on the footswitch board. All this with any CLR on the main pcb jumpers.

Nice to see another Nashville builder on the forum.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: jwin615 on July 09, 2023, 01:32:02 PM
Sure thing. If you need any more clarity, chime back in.
Also, if 6ou use a footswitch board that utilizes a trimmer for the CLR, you can under size your CLRs on the baby pot boards and have the overall brightness be adjustable.
Something I've started doing. Especially for builds for others.
An example would be, if you were going to use a 4k7 resistor, use individual CLRs(on the baby board) of 2k-3k(varrying depending on LED being used, use the lowest "safe" CLR value for that type of LED), then use a 2k trimpot on the footswitch board. All this with any CLR on the main pcb jumpers.

Nice to see another Nashville builder on the forum.

Great idea and most interesting.

Ditto on Nashville. The past few years I haven't built much but still had projects in line that I started a few years back. Amazing what I forget by not thinking/using it. I guess it's true. Use it or lose it.
John