News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Les Paul Bridge P/U recommendations?

Started by pryde, January 29, 2015, 03:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

There are also Oil City pickups, who are based in the UK.

They have a large range of pickups, including vintage style PAF-a-likes.

Prices are very reasonable (around £50 for a single pickup).

http://oilcitypickups.co.uk/index.html

jball85

I've used a Pearly Gates in the bridge of my Les Paul for fifteen years, and replaced the original Pearly Gates with another Pearly Gates after I popped a coil while cleaning dead skin cells out of the holes on the top (don't do this). I've tried an Antiquity and a Custom 5, but always returned to the Pearly Gates. I've also extensively played, although not owned, a 498T, classic 57, and a Dimarzio Tone Zone in Les Pauls. I couldn't live without the Pearly Gates. It's got more high end snap then the other Seymours I mentioned, and it can cover pretty much all styles well imho.

gjcamann

Quote from: gtr2 on January 29, 2015, 12:01:08 PM
Was thinking of trying these one day... (I have no experience with them)

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Pickups/Electric_Guitar/Golden_Age_Parsons_Street_Humbuckers.html

Josh

I picked up a Epi-LP second hand that I think has these in it. I like them, they definitely sound better than a stock Epi, and it sure sounds how a vintage LP w/ PAF's should sound - with not much high end. That said, I don't think they're in the same league as the other PU's in this thread, and probably not what the OP is interested in. But for someone looking for to upgrade an Epi, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

gordo

Another Seymour Jeff Beck fan here.  I have the setup in both my Lado Falcon and cheapo Hamer Standard (Explorer) of JB in the bridge and a 59 in the neck.  Perfect combo.  In my Hamer Anniversary the stock pickups were JB bridge and Seth Lover PAF in the neck.  The PAF is so detailed and rich that I'd really like to find out what an SL bridge (if they even make one) would sound like.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

pryde

Quote from: gordo on January 31, 2015, 12:57:04 AM
Another Seymour Jeff Beck fan here.  I have the setup in both my Lado Falcon and cheapo Hamer Standard (Explorer) of JB in the bridge and a 59 in the neck.  Perfect combo.  In my Hamer Anniversary the stock pickups were JB bridge and Seth Lover PAF in the neck.  The PAF is so detailed and rich that I'd really like to find out what an SL bridge (if they even make one) would sound like.

I have used a JB over the years (and still have one in the pile) and really it just doesn't do it for me. I tried it already in this particular LP and it really had poor definition and to much output for me. It does sound good in certain guitars though for sure.

I may give the Pearly Gates a shot. It seems to have a love/hate thing as some folks say it is to thin and treblely. Others say its the balls.