News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Only blue LEDs

Started by jtaormina, July 12, 2016, 02:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtaormina

I think I'm going to convert all my pedals to blue LEDs for indicators. I have a bunch of green and hell if I can tell when they are on or off when I gig outside. Anyone else have trouble seeing green (in the daylight that is) or am I green vision impaired?

jimilee

Yep, blue are pretty blinding though. I'd go with the standard red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aleph Null

Maybe they just need a different value for the limiting resistor? I have noticed a difference in apparent brightness with different colored LEDs, even if they are spec'd the same.

somnif

I know with the water clear ultrabright blues from Tayda I have tested CLR's up to 47k and still have them visibly bright.

Take a 100k pot and wire a leg of the LED to 1 and the lead of the battery to 2. Start it at 100k and sweep lower until its brightness is in the range you want, then probe your DMM on 1 and 2 to see the value ballpark you should look for.  (same trick works for other LEDs obviously, but you'd want a lower resistance for anything but blues and whites.)

jtaormina

Quote from: somnif on July 12, 2016, 06:21:08 PM
I know with the water clear ultrabright blues from Tayda I have tested CLR's up to 47k and still have them visibly bright.

Take a 100k pot and wire a leg of the LED to 1 and the lead of the battery to 2. Start it at 100k and sweep lower until its brightness is in the range you want, then probe your DMM on 1 and 2 to see the value ballpark you should look for.  (same trick works for other LEDs obviously, but you'd want a lower resistance for anything but blues and whites.)

Good idea. I'll have to try this out. Green is just impossible to see in the daylight. I don't care for red much either, I have a couple reds on my board and they are OK. 

alanp

Blue LEDs are a bad idea in synth modules, especially if you're fool enough to then put it at eye level.

I've only got one module with a blue LED. I'm a slow learner, but not that slow!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

blearyeyes

I have two pedals with blue LEDs at the moment, one MXR and one I built. They both burn holes in your eyes.
When you try to set the pedals you can't see the settings or anything.....for a while.

electrosonic

Personally I think blue LEDs look so 2012.

Andrew.

galaxiex

Quote from: blearyeyes on July 12, 2016, 10:55:15 PM
I have two pedals with blue LEDs at the moment, one MXR and one I built. They both burn holes in your eyes.
When you try to set the pedals you can't see the settings or anything.....for a while.

Ya, me too.

No more blue for me, just too blinding.

They do look cool tho.... kinda 2012....  ;)
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

somnif

I like (well I did back when I made pedals regularly, and I'm continuing the trend now) to color code my pedals by LED. Distortions are red, OD/Boosts are yellow or orange, Trem/vibe are green, Delays and modulations are blue or white depending on the tone of the circuit. I haven't built a compressor yet, so I'm not sure what color I'd use for it. Maybe purple? I shall have to give it thought eventually.

I'm only slightly OCD about such things.... hence my experience playing around with CLR values. its easy to test and better than either A) ending up with an indicator so dim you could'nt see it at night, or B) an indicator so bright you can't see a damn thing on your board with it lit.

Muadzin

I prefer blue LED's in all my pedals, preferably at blinding intensity, because bitter experience has told me that red LED's are next to invisible when outside or inside on a stage where the light tech gets enthusiastic with the red lights. And light techs LOVE to use red lights.

But in my experience basically any color beside red works well though. I for one can't understand why pedal builders keep on using red LED's. Must be a cost thing as diffused red seems to be dirt cheap. I'd throw every single red LED away if they didn't have some use as clipping LED's.

flanagan0718

I've actually taken a liking to amber colored LEDs. Blue is good if you use a higher value CLR. When I use Blue for the indicator I typically use anything from 8.2k - 12k. It takes a little bit of the burn out. You could always try the diffused blue LEDs. Those might be a little less intense.

Leevibe

I like to put a trimmer in series with the CLR. I've found that some customers love bright LEDs and some hate them. The trimmer keeps everyone happy.

blearyeyes

All you need are a good pair of shades.

jball85

I've found the bright clear white LED's to be pretty obvious in all lighting conditions, although they can be somewhat bright and non colorful.