News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Jacks Don't Seem To Fit In My Chunk Chunk

Started by strat56, August 24, 2016, 09:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strat56

I built a Chunk Chunk 2015 Edition and I can't get the jacks to fit in the enclosure with the board, if I put the board in first.  I can't get the board to go in, if I put the jacks in first.  What am I missing here?

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

You might want to try these:

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/lumberg-1-4-compact-shrouded-mono-jack/

They work well in tight spaces.

Otherwise, you'll probably need to drill larger holes and do some type of washer to cover things up, or just move the jacks to the side.

strat56

darrenw6000

Lumberg jacks are the best option in this case but if you do another enclosure just do what I do and put the jacks either side of the 3pdt, look at all that space! I wire the jacks to the switch and the input for the effect in S and output in R. No need then to bother with the other pads for the jacks

matmosphere

Quote from: strat56 on August 24, 2016, 09:37:37 PM
Here's the jacks I'm using.

You could always carefully bend out the wire lugs and see if you can fit it that way. Be careful though they can break.

strat56

Quote from: darrenw6000 on August 24, 2016, 10:33:28 PM
Lumberg jacks are the best option in this case but if you do another enclosure just do what I do and put the jacks either side of the 3pdt, look at all that space! I wire the jacks to the switch and the input for the effect in S and output in R. No need then to bother with the other pads for the jacks

I'll move them to the side and put some grommets or something in the holes on the end.

jimilee

I've bent many a lug in my builds, works just fine. Also I've used step less bits to route out the holes, the washers are usually large enough to cover the holes. I don't think drilling new holes is necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

strat56

The main problem is the part of the jack that clips into the groove around the tip of the plug.  Either I drilled wrong or there is an issue with the drill guide.  I turned the jack every way I could think of and there just isn't enough space between the board and the pots there and the front of the box for it to fit.

jimilee

Ohhhh right. Lumbergs will work there if you didn't want to redrill.

jtaormina

JB weld those holes shut and re-drill on the side!

madbean

Over-drill the jack holes and put locking washers on the inside. That will let you move the jacks up toward the enclosure lid.

neandrewthal

There were a couple times where I fucked up drilling jack holes bad enough that I had to overdrill so much that the washers wouldn't cover up the holes. I found in this situation a leftover plastic washer (I never put the second plastic washer on the outside) from a stomp switch does a good job of covering the hole. It's not the prettiest, but it's better than a gaping hole.

jimilee

Quote from: neandrewthal on August 25, 2016, 01:29:24 AM
There were a couple times where I fucked up drilling jack holes bad enough that I had to overdrill so much that the washers wouldn't cover up the holes. I found in this situation a leftover plastic washer (I never put the second plastic washer on the outside) from a stomp switch does a good job of covering the hole. It's not the prettiest, but it's better than a gaping hole.
Yep, been there, one on the inside, one on the outside.

m-Kresol

I wouldn't redrill on the sides. Top mount jacks for the win!

I also suggest overdrilling the existing holes by 1mm and see if it fits. Don't forget that the tab of the jack is supposed to flex a little, so no worries. Just give it a good squeeze.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials