News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

You guys stoked for the Straight Outta Compton movie?

Started by culturejam, February 11, 2015, 03:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Regardless of whether or not you like the NWA, it's difficult to argue that they had a significant influence on the content and the style of music that followed.  I always thought of Public Enemy as more political than NWA, but nobody matched the sheer raw force of anger and frustration than NWA.   

To Jon's point, I think that they absolutely are partly responsible for the acceptance and growth of hip hop into Mainstream.  SOC hit right as I started high school and you could see it roll through the suburbs.  I remember it freaking out the parents much more than any of the rap music they had heard before that.  Of course, the kids loved it even more when their parents hated it.

These days, I hear it through slightly different ears than I did then.  After seeing the trailer, I listened to the album through for the first time in a long time.  I think now I pay more attention to the subtleties of it (from politics to production values).  I will admit that the misogyny is a bit more tiresome to me these days.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GermanCdn

Because of this thread, I went out and bought NWA's greatest hits from the iTunes bargain bin.  I now feel like that guy from Office Space who rolls up his windows when he's listening to gangsta rap.

I also enjoy some of the latter life irony with the rapper turned actors from the 90s (Ice Cube, Ice T), who made their stance on the police early in their careers, and then spent their entire acting careers playing cops on TV/movies (hey, we all grow up, right).  They shoulda taken a cue from my main man Vanilla Ice, who kept true to his roots, and decided he wanted to build barns with the Amish :P.

Anyway, I'll rent the movie when it's on PPV, I don't think I'll convince Bon to go see it in a theatre, unless I give in and agree to go see 50 Shades, which is never, ever, ever going to happen.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

juansolo

Quote from: pickdropper on February 12, 2015, 04:43:44 PM
These days, I hear it through slightly different ears than I did then.  After seeing the trailer, I listened to the album through for the first time in a long time.  I think now I pay more attention to the subtleties of it (from politics to production values).  I will admit that the misogyny is a bit more tiresome to me these days.

They did indeed like their bitches...

I suspect as much when they were penniless as they did when they were wealthy. I very much doubt they'd change their tune on that...

sorry...  ;D
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

blearyeyes

Well put.  Never paid much attention to rap/hip hop artists per se so I didn't know the movie's name was an album title. I remember all the whoop dee do when they released though. Funny how the anti-parent thing works. I get the interest now. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bret608

Based on comments about when all of you first heard this music, I figure a lot of us must be even closer in age than I realized.

blearyeyes

pickdropper

Quote from: juansolo on February 12, 2015, 05:32:32 PM

They did indeed like their bitches...

I suspect as much when they were penniless as they did when they were wealthy. I very much doubt they'd change their tune on that...

sorry...  ;D

I bet they still like hanging out with women, but I l'd be willing to bet they spend less time referring to them as bitches.  :-)

I'd be really curious to hear how their perspectives have changed as they've become incredibly famous and wealthy.  I think it would be tough keeping an edge as you got older and more comfortable.  I think Dr. Dre is likely a billionaire after Apple's acquisition of Beats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)

juansolo

Oh they'll have all grown up. Most musicians do eventually ;) I remember going to an early NIN gig and it was all anger and adrenaline. Awesome. Later ones are very polished and still entertaining, but there's no edge to them (but then he evolved with it so it works on a different level these days). I expect the same for the likes of Metallica and what have you. You just can't keep that sort of fire going indefinitely and if you try and revisit it, it rarely works as you have a different, more mature, life view. Getting that hunger back when you've essentially achieved what you set out to is gonna be hard...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

pickdropper

Quote from: juansolo on February 12, 2015, 07:32:44 PM
Oh they'll have all grown up. Most musicians do eventually ;) I remember going to an early NIN gig and it was all anger and adrenaline. Awesome. Later ones are very polished and still entertaining, but there's no edge to them (but then he evolved with it so it works on a different level these days). I expect the same for the likes of Metallica and what have you. You just can't keep that sort of fire going indefinitely and if you try and revisit it, it rarely works as you have a different, more mature, life view. Getting that hunger back when you've essentially achieved what you set out to is gonna be hard...

Exactly. Well put.

Function f(x)

midwayfair

Quote from: pickdropper on February 12, 2015, 07:01:32 PM

I bet they still like hanging out with women, but I l'd be willing to bet they spend less time referring to them as bitches.  :-)

culturejam

I will admit that the misogyny is a bit more tiresome to me these days.

I suspect that a lot of that was encouraged for the shock value. I'm not saying they were all card-carrying members of NOW, but a lot of the more inflammatory lyrics seem to be there just for the sake of shock. The distrust of police and the anger about the condition of their neighborhood is real, but I think a lot of the rest of the stuff was just window dressing that the producer encouraged. Either way, it worked.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

selfdestroyer

Quote from: midwayfair on February 12, 2015, 07:58:00 PM

Fixed for ya Jon.

Cody

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on February 12, 2015, 10:11:35 PM
I will admit that the misogyny is a bit more tiresome to me these days.

I suspect that a lot of that was encouraged for the shock value. I'm not saying they were all card-carrying members of NOW, but a lot of the more inflammatory lyrics seem to be there just for the sake of shock. The distrust of police and the anger about the condition of their neighborhood is real, but I think a lot of the rest of the stuff was just window dressing that the producer encouraged. Either way, it worked.  ;D

You know, that's entirely possible.  And, just for the record, I'm not super uptight about the content of the album; I recognize that much of it is shock value.  It's merely that some aspects of it stand out more for me now that they did when I was younger.

And yeah, the shock value definitely worked.  Changed the genre.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: selfdestroyer on February 12, 2015, 10:29:39 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on February 12, 2015, 07:58:00 PM

Fixed for ya Jon.

Cody

I think I'll have to check that out later when I am at home.  :-)
Function f(x)

chuckbuick

I didn't think I was looking forward to it but after browsing this thread I feel like I need to at least get a copy of Straight Outta Compton.