News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sliding Pots

Started by Guybrush, April 24, 2012, 07:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

Has anyone ever used a sliding potentiometer in a pedal?  I'm going to build a boost pedal and thought that a slide pot might work well instead of a normal rotary one. 

Just a thought! :)

jtn191

I thought about it, but the most complicating part would be cutting the rectangular hole in the enclosure. The pots might cost a little more too

stecykmi

they're also harder to mount since most smaller sliding pots are board mounted. you may be able to find some screw mounted type though. you'll have to search.

alanp

They tend to go scratchy faster than rotary pots as well, since the track is exposed through the slot on the top of the potentiometer itself.

I got told a useful tip for transporting mixers by the man at Jansen NZ once -- move all the sliding pots to the top, since they are almost never used wide open in that position, and if they jiggle about and wear the track in transit it won't matter in that position.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Guybrush

Quote from: jtn191 on April 24, 2012, 07:21:11 PM
I thought about it, but the most complicating part would be cutting the rectangular hole in the enclosure. The pots might cost a little more too

I wondered about this but could you not just use a metal router (and a steady hand)?

Quote from: stecykmi on April 24, 2012, 09:07:10 PM
they're also harder to mount since most smaller sliding pots are board mounted. you may be able to find some screw mounted type though. you'll have to search.

Good point.  I suppose you could some how glue it in place to the underside of the emclosure?  Hmm... I'll have a think.

With them being board mounted can you 'convert' them so you don't have to actually attach them to the board i.e run jumpers from each lug to the board.

Quote from: alanp on April 24, 2012, 09:36:59 PM
They tend to go scratchy faster than rotary pots as well, since the track is exposed through the slot on the top of the potentiometer itself.

I got told a useful tip for transporting mixers by the man at Jansen NZ once -- move all the sliding pots to the top, since they are almost never used wide open in that position, and if they jiggle about and wear the track in transit it won't matter in that position.

Another good point (and tip)!

Thanks guys!

alanp

Rather than having the board floating, anchoring it with stand-offs to the case would work if you had board mounted sliding pots to work with. The same stand-offs that are used for computer motherboards, for example.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Guybrush

That's a great idea thanks!

I'm struggling to find a 5kC slide pot.  I've found this lot on Mouser http://uk.mouser.com/Passive-Components/PotentiometersTrimmers-Rheostats/Slide-Potentiometers/_/N-9q0yl/ but I can't work out if there's a 5kC among them.  Mouser's stock pages still a bit mind boggling to me.

DutchMF

Quote from: alanp on April 24, 2012, 09:36:59 PM

And you could cover the slot with some tape to keep the dust out. If using this, be sure to slide them to a reasonable position before you power up/connect the mixer, or you might fry your speakers, your hearing or both!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"