News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Air Compressor for Powder Coat

Started by Guybrush, April 29, 2012, 01:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

Hey hey.
I've been reading through Fastocker's ace powder coating tutorial and have been writing a shopping list.  I have noted down that I need a small air compressor but have realised I have no idea what that means. Please can someone point me out a suitable compressor? Is there a certain type of connector I need to be looking for or are they all much of a muchness?   Thanks guys.

bigmufffuzzwizz

There are a couple of other pieces needed that Fastocker didn't mention most likely cause he already had the stuff and its all talked about in the manual of the powder coat gun. I bought my air compressor from Harbor Freight for a very cheap price. It was item #95275. It definitely works for the job but I'm still wary of everything from that place, I'd probably go with a bigger brand if you want it to really last. I found a coupon for the one I purchased bringing the price to around $40. When I went to get it I joined the track club which despite costing however much money to join, the savings it gave me on all my items brought the total lower than it was before I decided to join club. Kinda shocking but I believe I walked away with that compressor for something like $25!

Also got my air hose, connectors and other attachments at HF. 3/8'' air hose at least 20', 2 quick de-couplers, 2 male connectors and your definitely gonna want a small air gun attachment to blow the powder out of the inside of the sprayer tube. I found a set at HF that sold all these little pieces plus many more for $10 and the hose was around the same. Something I didn't get but I would if you don't have it is thread locking tape. I get a bunch of leaks and I'm sure it would work better without them.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Guybrush

Very useful info!  Much appreciated.

Nothing's ever cheap is it!? Ha.

I'll check out Harbour Freight but I think shipping to the UK will prove costly for a compressor.  Should hopefully be able to find U.K equivalents.

So here's my shopping list so far.

Paint Gun
Air Compressor
Air Hose
Air Gun
Connectors
Thread Tape
Paint
Spare Bottles
Oven
Makeshift Painting Booth

Think I'm good to go  :)

Thanks again!

marmaliser

slimtriggers

You can find the Craftsman powder coat guns on Ebay for around $30.  They don't require an air compressor.  Not sure about shipping to UK, however.  I've been using one with good results. 

culturejam

Quote from: slimtriggers on April 29, 2012, 11:43:58 PM
You can find the Craftsman powder coat guns on Ebay for around $30.  They don't require an air compressor.  Not sure about shipping to UK, however.  I've been using one with good results. 

I've heard lots of mixed results with the Craftsman. If you have any specifics you'd care to share, I'd be interested to hear your experience.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

slimtriggers

Quote from: culturejam on April 30, 2012, 12:13:01 AM

I've heard lots of mixed results with the Craftsman. If you have any specifics you'd care to share, I'd be interested to hear your experience.

Well, I got it for $27, shipped, from Amazon.  So, it was cheap ;) 
              Good:

• Cheap
  • No extra equipment needed
  • Easy to use
  • self contained

Bad:

• Brittle plastic cup for powder.  Feels like it would break easily
  • Locking mechanism for cup has been known to break off
  • Seems to spray a lot of powder.  Probably a bit wasteful.
  • Unknown reliability.  Some reports of them suddenly just not working any longer

I don't know if this is normal or not, but when I spray clear on a coated enclosure I get a lot of Faraday effect in the corners.  I've overcome that by spraying the clear on when the object is still hot. 

This thing is super easy to use, if you're just dipping your toes in the powder coat craze.  You plug it in to the wall outlet, clip the ground wire to your object and pull the trigger. 

I've been happy with mine so far, but I've only had it a few months.  I can't attest to its long term reliability.

Guybrush

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I might give the Craftsman gun a try.  I've found a seller on ebay.com that ships to the UK.  It's strange that powder coating isn't seen as a commercial painting option in the UK.

Cheers!

Mike @ Rawkworks

After my compressor broke I picked up that Craftsman gun. It works just as explained, and I also let the object get a little hot before. There isnt much to the gun and my cuplock broke off but I find that its easier without the darn thing!

One thing I do have from the previous setup is some good stainless steel wire and heat resistant tape. Really helps! Should be able to get em from Eastwood.

One last thing...

You fight like a dairy farmer!
Mike
mike@rawkworks.com

Guybrush

Quote from: tyronethebig on April 30, 2012, 03:02:52 PM
You fight like a dairy farmer!

How appropriate, you fight like a cow!

Ha ha.  Best game ever!

What do you use the stainless steel wire and heat resistant tape for?

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Mike @ Rawkworks

I tape the wire to the underside of the enclosure to improve the contact between the alligator clip and the box. Without it I think the options are to clip it next to box on the rack or on the box and have a flaw in your paint. The only reason I mention it is because I started with the air compressor/eastwood gun (that it came with) and moved to the craftsman (which it didnt) and its been a big help. That and heating the box, cant say enough about a little preheat on the box.

I'm not going to take your insolence sitting down!

Mike
mike@rawkworks.com

Guybrush

Your hemorrhoids are flaring up again, eh? ;D

Ahh.. I thought you meant you used the wire and tape on the gun somehow.  Ha.

Thanks for the help (and insults)!