Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2024 outlook

Started by madbean, January 23, 2024, 01:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

Quote from: madbean on February 09, 2024, 02:12:06 AM
Quote from: Aentons on February 09, 2024, 01:41:06 AM
Just curious if there is any reasoning behind designing the standard series exclusively for the 1590b rather than both it and 125b? Some folks seem a tad hung up on top jacks.

A number of the circuits I'm working on for the series simply won't fit in both configurations. Some would, for sure. But then they wouldn't be "standardized" for one pre-defined hardware layout. I've got a pretty big hunch that when folks start building some of these projects they'll find them easy and enjoyable. At least, I hope so because I put in a tremendous amount of thought and planning into them, haha.
I was just thinking, that if it fits into a 1590b, a 125b is bigger in every dimension, so what's to stop you from using the larger size? Sorry, if I'm being dense.

madbean

Quote from: Aentons on February 09, 2024, 03:36:10 AM
Just curious if there is any reasoning behind designing the standard series exclusively for the 1590b rather than both it and 125b? Some folks seem a tad hung up on top jacks.

A number of the circuits I'm working on for the series simply won't fit in both configurations. Some would, for sure. But then they wouldn't be "standardized" for one pre-defined hardware layout. I've got a pretty big hunch that when folks start building some of these projects they'll find them easy and enjoyable. At least, I hope so because I put in a tremendous amount of thought and planning into them, haha.
I was just thinking, that if it fits into a 1590b, a 125b is bigger in every dimension, so what's to stop you from using the larger size? Sorry, if I'm being dense.

Not dense at all! 125B requires extra space at the top end to fit the jacks and you have to make compromises to offer both options for 125B and 1590B simultaneously in a single PCB layout.

Frankly, I already did that in 2020 with a bunch of projects and sometimes that required a mix of 16mm snd 9mm pots. I dont think thats the best approach anymore. This series is about focusing on a specific layout standard for 1590B with minimal wiring and different bypass options. And, also because I want to make it easy for people that want to use the Tayda drilling and UV print service at the same time. These weren't even options just a few years ago.

Micpoc

Quote from: madbean on February 09, 2024, 04:07:50 AM
Not dense at all! 125B requires extra space at the top end to fit the jacks and you have to make compromises to offer both options for 125B and 1590B simultaneously in a single PCB layout.

Frankly, I already did that in 2020 with a bunch of projects and sometimes that required a mix of 16mm snd 9mm pots. I dont think thats the best approach anymore. This series is about focusing on a specific layout standard for 1590B with minimal wiring and different bypass options. And, also because I want to make it easy for people that want to use the Tayda drilling and UV print service at the same time. These weren't even options just a few years ago.
Does this mean that all projects with, for example, two pots and a toggle switch (plus foot switch, jacks, etc.), will share the same drilling pattern? So if we build one and get tired of it or whatever, we can repurpose the enclosure without any modifications?

Aentons

Quote from: madbean on February 09, 2024, 04:07:50 AM
Quote from: Aentons on February 09, 2024, 03:36:10 AM

That makes sense. I'm definitely excited to see it all in action once it's ready.

madbean

Quote from: Micpoc on February 09, 2024, 02:53:11 PM
Does this mean that all projects with, for example, two pots and a toggle switch (plus foot switch, jacks, etc.), will share the same drilling pattern? So if we build one and get tired of it or whatever, we can repurpose the enclosure without any modifications?

No, because each project will have a unique number of controls. But they all go on a per-defined grid.

The idea here is to have one master template for the Tayda drill service so for any given project you can just adjust that layout to fit the specific number of controls needed. I'll be documenting this in depth so it will be easy for anyone to do. Also, because I am personally not wanting to do my own drilling too much anymore! I'd rather pay Tayda a few bucks to drill my enclosures than deal with going out to the garage and mis-drilling my own stuff haha.

There are a couple projects that do break the design rule a bit but those will have their own paper and Tayda drill files.

redkurn

TNblueshawk

Hey Brian, is the Collosalus coming back?
John

madbean

Quote from: TNblueshawk on February 18, 2024, 01:44:20 PM
Hey Brian, is the Collosalus coming back?

Mos def. I will get more Collosalus and Current Lover on the next order. Just deciding if I want to fully update to my latest parts library. Probably will.

On another note: I am a debugging madman! Solved a big problem on one of the new projects today. Held me up for two days.

jessenator

Quote from: madbean on February 22, 2024, 12:17:50 AM
On another note: I am a debugging madman! Solved a big problem on one of the new projects today. Held me up for two days.

always a good feeling!

pbrommer1

[/quote]

Brian, the big brain, am winning again. Now, he will release pcbs for no raisin!

madbean

Verified 7 builds as fully ready today. I found small errors on two other projects that will require re-running those boards. Not a big deal. Just a couple dumb mistakes on my part.

Starting to work on art for Tayda UV printing (first time). Here's the 8-Ball.

And, here's my build of the Woodshed fuzz which sounds absolutely awesome!

jessenator

Quote from: madbean on February 23, 2024, 12:41:29 AM
Verified 7 builds as fully ready today. I found small errors on two other projects that will require re-running those boards. Not a big deal. Just a couple dumb mistakes on my part.

Micpoc

Well, THAT looks interesting...

jimilee

Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

playpunk

The 8ball is my favorite DIY drive ever.
"my legend grows" - playpunk