News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Modded Fuzz Face

Started by selfdestroyer, October 08, 2013, 05:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

I had this board sitting around for awhile and wanted to finish it up. I am very happy with the results. I can't remember off hand what germaniums I ended up with since I tried 4 or 5 pairs before I settled on these.

Here is the layout by Ataraxia Engineering I used.
http://music.codydeschenes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Fuzz-Face-4-Knob-Ataraxia-Engineering-Transfer.pdf

Bret608

Hey, I like this! Really nice color. I never knew about this layout previously. I incorporated modded part values (10uf input, 47n output) on a hybrid NPN Fuzz Face I just tested out on vero. But this goes a bit beyond by making them adjustable, with a charge pump for the win.

If you ever have an NPN germanium with a good FF Q1 gain range, I highly recommend trying it out with a low-to-mid gain silicon in Q2. With the in/out cap values I mentioned, it sounds huge. JakeFuzz tipped me off to this by the way.

Cheers,

Bret

ch1naski

Nice, and those are the perfect options to a fuzz face.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
one louder.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: Bret608 on October 08, 2013, 07:42:43 PM
Hey, I like this! Really nice color. I never knew about this layout previously. I incorporated modded part values (10uf input, 47n output) on a hybrid NPN Fuzz Face I just tested out on vero. But this goes a bit beyond by making them adjustable, with a charge pump for the win.

If you ever have an NPN germanium with a good FF Q1 gain range, I highly recommend trying it out with a low-to-mid gain silicon in Q2. With the in/out cap values I mentioned, it sounds huge. JakeFuzz tipped me off to this by the way.

Cheers,

Bret

I can not remember exactly where I stumbled on to this PDF but it was exactly what I was looking for. I found this and started building it before Josh's (1776 Effects) Five O Clock fuzz came out. I really wanted a Ge with a charge pump and onboard pots so this fit the bill.

I will definitely try the Si in Q2, sounds interesting. I was trying to achieve the kind of low end madness like the OxFuzz and I think I got close.

timbo_93631

That is pretty tidy Cody!  Looks great.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

ch1naski

one louder.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

selfdestroyer

Thanks guys. Its my first FF I have ever owned and I am enjoying it.
Quote from: ch1naski on October 10, 2013, 11:07:04 PM
Nice blog. subscribed!

Thanks, I really try to keep it up. Its been more of a "I must post so I dont forget stuff" kind of thing. But I love to document stuff while I am learning.