News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Is there anything in power transformers that wouldnt be allowed?

Started by danwelsh, October 17, 2014, 12:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwelsh

Hi fellas. Anyone know what's in power transformers? .....my understanding is just iron and copper wires along with the aluminum shell.  The reason I ask is because I ordered one from the USA going to canada and it was sent for further processing at the border 4 business days ago and I'm worried maybe there's something in them that's not allowed to be imported into my country?

Azure Skies

The transformer should be fine, should clear in a few days. Think of it from their perspective... "this thing is heavy, has a bunch of wires coming off of it, and I don't know what it is...better check into it"

brucer

Probably delayed by the long weekend and the whole weight/wires thing.  I've ordered transformers from the US to Canada twice and they cleared both times after a few days.  You might be assessed some duty in the end.  As Tom Petty said: "The waiiiiting is the hardest part ..."  :)

danwelsh

davent

Serching for Weapons of Mass Distortion, McMasterCarr won't ship garolite (turretboard) to Canada since 911 unless you were a long standing customer.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Jopn

In the last 2 weeks I've had 2 packages that were stuck at "Sent for processing" ordering internationally into Canada for a lot longer than normal.  Both arrived fine, and weren't even inspected by CBSA.  I think they're just working through a backlog.

Specifically though, Richmond BC is horrible, and every time something goes through there it adds at least a week to the delivery time (if not more).

lars

Transformers are unpredictable. You dont know what theyre gonna do! One minute, providing alternate voltage, next, providing ALTERNATE voltage.

Morgan

Sidebar!

Quote from: davent on October 17, 2014, 07:03:59 PM
Serching for Weapons of Mass Distortion, McMasterCarr won't ship garolite (turretboard) to Canada since 911 unless you were a long standing customer.
I didn't know that McMaster Carr has garolite! You sir, are a wealth of knowledge! :)
Moderator at BYOC, still sometimes futz around with Leila Vintage Electronics.

Old Blog...

davent

Black, Blue, Tan and Natural, they also have/(had?) a suitable red material but off hand i can't recall the designator. Believe it's this one, GPO3?...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#grade-g-10/fr4-garolite/=u777eo

http://www.mcmaster.com/#electrical-grade-fiberglass-(gpo3)/=u779bz

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?