News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First Build Help

Started by ckalinec, January 31, 2011, 10:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckalinec

Hey guys, I want to start my first actual pedal build. After doing a couple tap tempos and junction boxes I'm confident in my soldering abilities. I want my first build to be the Aristocrat (King of Tone clone). I just have a few questions:

How do I know which type of Cap, resistor, diodes, etc. to get? I was looking from small bear, can all of my parts be purchased from small bear?

Thanks, keep in mind, I know NOTHING about caps, diodes, and resistors so all education is welcome.

jkokura

Welcome to the forum! This will be a great place for learning, and yours is a prett common question. You may find other threads with info you'll really appreciate.

But to answer your question, yes all of the parts you need can be found at smallbear. About caps and diodes and such, if you post some links here we can tell you if you're on the right track.

The aristocrat is somewhat a big project to attempt. Perhaps trying something simpler first might be helpful for learning?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

Quote from: jkokura on January 31, 2011, 11:07:59 PM

The aristocrat is somewhat a big project to attempt. Perhaps trying something simpler first might be helpful for learning?

Jacob

+1

But, if you do decide to go with the aristocrat and you want to keep it per the build doc you will have to buy source the diodes elsewhere.  Links are in the build document.  It's a fun build but it could be complicated for a first build like Jacob said.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

ckalinec

My reasoning for trying the Aristocrat is that I already have a SHO. I don't really need a fuzz, so I want to try out the Aristocrat. Would the Klon be an easier build. These are the only pedals I'm really interested in

jkokura

No, the sunking and aristocrat are on par with each other for difficulty.

Take it slow. Ask lots of questions and have us help you. Check that the circuit works brfor you box it up, and you'll be fine. Sometimes diving into the deep end works out just fine!

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

ckalinec

So, thought I'd bump this up since I just ordered everything last night! Very excited about this.

However, I ordered the JRC4580 IC from Mouser and they are back ordered until April 18th. Anybody know where I can get one other than Mouser?

Thanks, I'll also be posting any questions I have in here as I go

irmcdermott

mammoth sells them, i think. pedal parts plus sells a workalike.

mammoth shipping is kind of high for small orders, so that may not be your best bet if that is all you need.

I would check ebay first.

ckalinec

So went ahead and ordered a JRC4558 from mammoth and a socket that way in April I can swap out the IC's when the right ones get in

Now just waiting for everything to come in

ckalinec

Everything is here except the biggest order. Ugh. Smallbear was the first place I ordered from and the last thing to come in. I still haven't got it yet.

ckalinec

Quick question. I decided I'm gonna try of the cap switch per madbeans advice. I ran down to radioshack to see if they had any and I picked up 2 of what I believe is the correct cap just making sure.

The build says 27n-47n and I picked up a .047uf polyester-film cap.

This is the correct cap right?

Also, will this be too much bass response being the highest value suggested. Thanks, Clint

jkokura

.047uF and 47nF are the same yes. A film cap is the right cap to use in that place. Is it the right size?

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

ckalinec

Just picked up my order from smallbean! Only problem is they didn't label any of my resistors, caps, etc. How do I tell them apart?

irmcdermott

ckalinec

^^Thanks man! Couple more questions

1) Why don't my capacitor look like "boxes" like the builds I've seen? Can I still use them?

2) On my cylindrical caps, why are the positive and negative ends on different sides unlike the others that have the both on the same side? Can I still use these?

Thanks! Did I completely screw up when ordering or is this ok?

irmcdermott

You should be able to use them since I'm assuming they are the right value. You may just have to bend the leads a little. Or, they may not fit in, I'm not sure what the actual dimensions they are. The "box" caps you see people using are usually WIMA, AVX, or Topmay brand. Smallbear sells Topmay caps.

You ordered "axial" caps for your electrolytics, instead of radials. You can still use them. The arrow on the black line indicates which lead is your negative lead. Just bend one down and stand it up.