News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Nashville Hitmen

Started by cooder, January 09, 2022, 08:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

Here's a trio of underground secret Hitmen of the Nashville Mafia or so they say (hope no one's offended... Brian? Kevin? ;) )

Apparently the hot weapons of guitar assassins like Tom Bukovac and Guthrie Trapp et all have these original or some version in their arsenal a lot.

First group shot is from right to left:
Sandblaster aka ODR-1, Sweet Thing aka Ibanez Mostortion and Royalty Drive aka Nordman ODR-C (the updated ODR-1, I posted that already a few days back, so won't waffle on about that, I just thought it fits nicely with the group mug shot).

With the Sandblaster based on ODR-1 I added the of course very sensible bass control to combat the one complaint about the original being too woofy at times.
Also added three position clipping switches so that I can have no diodes/two diodes/four diodes in both soft and hard clipping section. Great variety to be had here and certainly helps heaps to get the character of drive I want out if.
Overall great OD for sure and this and the ODR-C are different enough to justify both. Because you can have never have too many anyway, right?

Sweet thing is a take on Ibanez Mostortion, also a favourite with a bunch of studio wisecracks, Tim Pierce uses it as well happily I believe.
Added a voice control very much like on Zendrive which is useful and also a three position clipping switch, because why not. Useful as well I find.

BigNoise Amplification

jimilee

I don't think it's offensive at all, you're good. I really dig the lineup. This is the first time I've really seen the mostortion held in such high regard. I'd like to know more.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

dawson

Another immaculate installation of Cooder's excellence!

Super nice layouts (MOSFAT!) and really great photography.

*I must know though- is there a reason for the fish graphic (piranha?) on the sandblaster?  Was this fish possibly sand-blasted?  That would make sense, seeing that it's mainly just a skeleton, but if so, why?  Sandblasting ANY fleshy organic material would make a huge mess to clean up, and I can only imagine the fish smell would linger around the sandblasting unit for ages so you'd have to need a very good reason to do something like that.  I'm not arguing against it because everything you've done has always been good and I trust your expertise, however I am VERY curious!
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

Thewintersoldier

Cooder, you mad man. All 3 look fantastic. I've wanted to try the mostortion for a while. Might have to build one.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

cooder

Quote from: jimilee on January 09, 2022, 08:33:50 PM
I don't think it's offensive at all, you're good. I really dig the lineup. This is the first time I've really seen the mostortion held in such high regard. I'd like to know more.
I think it's a goodie it has a different tone stack quite efficient which means you can dial in great stuff but you can also find messy settings depending on taste.
Aion has a board and usual excellent build doc here
https://aionfx.com/project/quantum-mosfet-distortion/
Tim Pierce has a nice video where it features:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGi2SK32HKc

Quote from: dawson on January 09, 2022, 08:37:18 PM
Another immaculate installation of Cooder's excellence!

Super nice layouts (MOSFAT!) and really great photography.

*I must know though- is there a reason for the fish graphic (piranha?) on the sandblaster?  Was this fish possibly sand-blasted?  That would make sense, seeing that it's mainly just a skeleton, but if so, why?  Sandblasting ANY fleshy organic material would make a huge mess to clean up, and I can only imagine the fish smell would linger around the sandblasting unit for ages so you'd have to need a very good reason to do something like that.  I'm not arguing against it because everything you've done has always been good and I trust your expertise, however I am VERY curious!

Haha, thanks! While I'm know to overthink and get all romantic and fluffy like thinking about my old reel to reel from years back, in this case it was just a spontaneous 'looks cool let's roll with that'.I was not at all thinking about the poor fish getting sand blasted and mistreated or so... not for a second.

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on January 09, 2022, 10:47:58 PM
Cooder, you mad man. All 3 look fantastic. I've wanted to try the mostortion for a while. Might have to build one.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Cheers Chris! I think it is a goodie too.
BigNoise Amplification

dawson

Quote from: cooder on January 09, 2022, 11:00:59 PM

Haha, thanks! While I'm know to overthink and get all romantic and fluffy like thinking about my old reel to reel from years back, in this case it was just a spontaneous 'looks cool let's roll with that'.I was not at all thinking about the poor fish getting sand blasted and mistreated or so... not for a second.

Oh, ok!  Pardon me for overthinking- it does indeed look cool and part of me is glad there's no gruesome back-story.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.