News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fulltone Catalyst.

Started by JakeFuzz, March 08, 2011, 02:42:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFuzz

I just picked one of these up used and my first impressions are not good. The fuzz has this horrid fizzle to it even at the earliest signs of breakup. To dial this out you must crank up the bass/mids and dial the treble way back. Then in "flame" mode you are constantly left with this woofy mid range that you just cannot get rid of. Gain pot goes from really really clean to very saturated in no time at all and the EQ has to be constantly adjusted to get a good balance at different levels of gain. All these problems seem to become amplified at higher voltages. The good thing is that when you get it in a sweet spot it is really outstanding.

It may have one or two useful tones but for the most part... meh  :-\. Sounds better with higher output pickups. I don't know why everyone is saying it is so versatile. I am going to build me a screwdriver and compare (then probably flip the Catalyst). Anyone else have/played this pedal and liked it? Maybe I am using it wrong.

madbean

I don't know anything about it. I think there were some gutshots out there on FSB, but I never took a hard look at it.

I think the main feature is the ability to blend between op-amp and hard clipping, correct? I would not be surprised if it's based on an OCD.

dwstanford

I heard the same thing about it being based on an OCD.  I saw a band playing and liked the guitar players sound, so I took a look at his rig between sets and I saw the catalyst on his board.  He only had a few pedals, so I assumed this was the culprit.  Then when they went back on, I watched more closely and noticed that he never engaged it.  He was getting that awesome sound from his amp.  (Orange TH30). I guess I'll have to spend $1400 instead $150.   :-[

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: dwstanford on March 13, 2011, 04:49:05 PM
(Orange TH30). I guess I'll have to spend $1400 instead $150.   :-[

Dude if you gonna shell out that much paper, get an original OR80/120. I've seen em for $1500 many times. I once played a 1972 OR80 with a matching 1972 cabinet. OMG the frequency range was amazing. I got beef, and sparkle and just soo much tone. I was playing the first guitar i found in front of me(being a tele) and i was in total shock.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

JakeFuzz

The sound may be designed to sound like an OCD but the circuit is FET based with no hard clipping. I am starting to get used to it as I spend some more time with it. The tone control is very powerful, almost makes it difficult to use. Took a look inside; there are 2 or 3 transistors with the faces sanded down. I am still waiting to build my Screwdriver, I have a feeling the Skreddy will suite my tastes more and I will sell the Catalyst.