News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The pedal movIe

Started by jimilee, May 05, 2021, 09:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Did anyone watch it, what did you think? There seem to be rumors and conflicting stories on how fuzz and distortion were created. I tend to believe the movie, Josh seems to be a stand up guy and pedal collector and aficionado. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

harryklippton

I haven't seen it yet but I'd like to. I don't want to have a payment method linked to my google account so I gotta find a way to get a google play gift card first

jjjimi84

I watched it last night, I thought it was good. Definitely worth watching and cool to see some vintage effects, I loved watching Steve Vai with that whammy pedal. I thought the end was kinda weird, maybe I am wrong but it seemed out place.

jimilee

Quote from: jjjimi84 on May 05, 2021, 11:35:16 PM
I watched it last night, I thought it was good. Definitely worth watching and cool to see some vintage effects, I loved watching Steve Vai with that whammy pedal. I thought the end was kinda weird, maybe I am wrong but it seemed out place.
I thought so too. I feel like the trailers that they've been putting out were a bit misleading. It didn't quite cover female builders as much as we were lead to believe. As a matter of fact, I think there was more of that in the trailers than the movie, but definitely a good watch.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesmokingman

so ... if you pirate it, did you make a clone of the pedal movie?
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

KMRO

I watched it last night and enjoyed myself.  I think it got worse as it went along.  During the history part, we get a pretty clean narration of the stories behind some famous pedals.  The origin stories and the makers got some good time and there were enough scenes to keep me interested.  At the end it got a little public relations-focused.  I agree with Jimilee that they missed a great opportunity to showcase new builders who aren't goofy white guys.  Who do you think came off well?  I liked the JHS dude, Wampler and Fran.

alanp

Is there a link of any sort? IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes?

The subject title makes me think of a youtube vid I saw, and the comment that as far as pedals go, guitarists only care about the resale value.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Stomptown

I'm going to try to watch it this weekend. Last weekend I watched the new Dave Grohl doc What Drives Us and really enjoyed that.

mjg

This seems to be the official link for it, and you can get to the Google or iTunes versions from there:

https://reverb.com/page/the-pedal-movie

harryklippton

Ok I'm about half way through it. There's a LOT of footage that's been on reverb's YouTube channel over the past 2 years or so

matmosphere

I want to, but haven't had a chance yet. Two and a half hours is a big commitment... and it makes it a harder sell to the wife. Hopefully get to watch it soon.

Been following this one and another called "Sisters with Transistors" about women synth pioneers on Instagram for a while. Pretty excited to watch both.

gordo

I didn't realize they were charging money for it and then thought..."oh wait...it's Reverb..."

Hoping to get to it but being able to commandeer 2.5 hours is a tall order lately.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Quote from: KMRO on May 06, 2021, 03:16:59 AM
I watched it last night and enjoyed myself.  I think it got worse as it went along.  During the history part, we get a pretty clean narration of the stories behind some famous pedals.  The origin stories and the makers got some good time and there were enough scenes to keep me interested.  At the end it got a little public relations-focused.  I agree with Jimilee that they missed a great opportunity to showcase new builders who aren't goofy white guys.  Who do you think came off well?  I liked the JHS dude, Wampler and Fran.
I'd say the lesser known guitar player that was looking for a pedal and couldn't find it.

PapaKev

Quote from: gordo on May 06, 2021, 01:33:06 PM
I didn't realize they were charging money for it and then thought..."oh wait...it's Reverb..."

Hoping to get to it but being able to commandeer 2.5 hours is a tall order lately.

Same thing I thought. I'll get around to it at some point.

jimilee

I didn't watch it all at once. It's kind of broken up into segments, which makes it easier to leave and come back. I didn't Ming paying 9.99.