News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

So i'm really into the krylon shimmer metallic paint...

Started by ggarms, October 12, 2014, 09:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ggarms

and I was wondering if anyone has ever sourced white glitter paint. I really love that pearl/ glitter look and would love to be able to use it on a build.

wgc

I haven't seen anything by krylon like that, but duplicolor has some in the auto stores.

You can also get some translucent pearls/flakes spray at michaels and spray over white.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

selfdestroyer

Quote from: ggarms on October 12, 2014, 09:27:46 PM
and I was wondering if anyone has ever sourced white glitter paint. I really love that pearl/ glitter look and would love to be able to use it on a build.

Thanks for the heads up. I really dig the colors it comes in.

http://www.krylon.com/products/shimmer-metallic/

Now I just need to find some in retail stores.

Cody

ggarms

Cody, these paints absolutely rule. They are super easy to work with and give you a finish that definitely doesn't look like it came from a spray can. I don't know if they have joanne fabrics or michaels where you are (retail craft chains), but they both stock them.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: ggarms on October 13, 2014, 06:29:36 AM
Cody, these paints absolutely rule. They are super easy to work with and give you a finish that definitely doesn't look like it came from a spray can. I don't know if they have joanne fabrics or michaels where you are (retail craft chains), but they both stock them.

We have a Michaels here but its kind of ghetto and their spray paint section is in shambles but I will check there. Thanks for the heads up. I did notice the "where to buy" but I have scavenged most of them for paint in the last 2 months and I did not notice these.

Cody

Justus

Is it just me, or does everything "green metallic" seem to look like a bluish-forest green and not like a good ol', bright, Mt.Dew-can-green?

Anyone ever use the Tamiya spray paints for models?

flanagan0718

So, over the weekend I painted a couple of enclosures. I used the Krylon dual (paint+primer) on one and the Rustoleum paint and primer on another. The krylon is WORLDS better, I though. 1 it sprayed on even (barley and wet sanding needed) and I couldn't even tell it was baking in the other room. The Rustoleum needed/needs more wet sanding and stunk to the high heavens when baking. needles to say, I think I'll stick to the Krylon stuff from now on.

AntKnee

I hate the rustoleum stuff. I don't bake them. (Actually, I don't paint them anymore, either.) It takes longer to dry and if you don't wait long enough between coats, the finish will stay mushy forever. I have had good results from krylon and mixed results from duplicolor. I like the duplicolor clear acrylic for the top clear coat, and I use it to seal my inkjet waterslides.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

wgc

Not a fan of rustoleum. Krylon is much better.

I'd probably use duplicolor if I didn't powder coat though.

Here's a clear glitter that should get you to white pearl.

https://www.duplicolor.com/products/effex/

Don't buy enamel, make sure it says "this is a lacquer product" or urethane.
e.e. cummings

selfdestroyer

Picked up 3 cans of the Krylon Shimmer Metallic paint at Michaels craft store today.

I did a quick test on some 1590 backs I had laying around. Here is what they look like. Lighting is hard to show the metallic but trust me, they look really nice. These are just the Krylon and no clear and just one coat and baked at 150 degrees for 15 mins. Nothing special at all.

Purple

Green

Pink

I am loving the pink and I think my pink Rams Head is going to get an upgrade in color for sure.

Note: I also noticed that the paint goes on thin, which is a good thing since it makes using it for reverse etches easier to control. I found that glossy paint can get to thick and actually fill the space that was etched away and sanding becomes a mess. I have lost a few etches that way.

Cody

TGP39

They do look great Cody. Love the purple. I've never baked my enclosures. I just leave them in the sun (Florida) and they dry pretty quick.  I've been loving the duplicolor stuff lately. The only rustoleum paint I still like is the hammered paint. Great results.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

flanagan0718

These look awesome! I'll have to stop at Michael's tonight and grab some. That pink is killer! What clear coat do you guys use? I did some clear coating over the weekend and lost 2 water slides. Almost instantly after the clear coat was sprayed the sides got all wrinkly and orange peal looking.

wgc

looks great!  thin build should be perfect for the etch process you're doing.

looking forward to seeing more gorgeous stuff cody
e.e. cummings

selfdestroyer

Quote from: flanagan0718 on October 29, 2014, 01:22:36 PM
These look awesome! I'll have to stop at Michael's tonight and grab some. That pink is killer! What clear coat do you guys use? I did some clear coating over the weekend and lost 2 water slides. Almost instantly after the clear coat was sprayed the sides got all wrinkly and orange peal looking.

I'm using a rustoleum flat clear now but its very thin and I feel like I need to do 10 coats to protect the enclosure. I also am looking for a new clear but I want either flat or matte since I am not a fan of high gloss.

Quote from: wgc on October 29, 2014, 05:03:17 PM
looks great!  thin build should be perfect for the etch process you're doing.

looking forward to seeing more gorgeous stuff cody

Thanks man.

Cody

ggarms

To all going to michaels, make sure you go to the website and get a 40% off coupon each time you go! It makes these cans like 6 bucks each.