News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Smd

Started by jimilee, August 28, 2014, 07:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Hey man, sorry to hear its giving you trouble.  I suspect its probably soldering error.  For the signal path, did you check the schematic on the webstore page?  Its here if you need it:
http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/boms/CBFX_SMD_Practice_Kit_LPB1_Boost_schematic.pdf

Yeah I would reflow some of those joints and try again!  The SMD (ahem...T :) ) practice kit was one of the first boards I designed and I think it desperately needs a makeover. 

More space, no vias, etc.  :)  Let me know how you go.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

muddyfox

i was gonna do a roomy layout of this way back but since Paul made his available i just dropped it.
plenty of other stuff to give a go, without toe-stepping :)

alanp

Chrome, I'd recommend you partner up with Muddy for the LPB. E's got 'is chops fer ti' simple SMD, loik.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

chromesphere

-Ok!  So I have just spent a bit of time expanding the size of the pcb for this project, from 1.75cm x 1.2cm to ~2cm x 1.5cm.  Doesnt sound like much but now there is much more room between components!  Although I honestly never had any issues with the size myself, i can understand not everyone is a dexterous with fine work as i am so the constructive criticism has been noted and change applied!  I also think its a good idea, SMT components are so small, no point cramming them onto a microscopic board hah? :D  It will take some time for the new boards to come through but i will order them on the next fab run. 

Also i should mention, this isn't a very popular project, one of my least selling.  But im investing the time and energy fixing it because i think its important to have something like this available for those that want something small to commit to, so they can decide if SMT is right for them.

Thanks for the feedback, I honestly mean that.  I'd be totally in the dark without you guys letting me know your experience with my projects and where improvements can be made.
Paul

jimilee

It was the starter kit that got me. I'll try reflowing,at be in a few days, right now I'm going through a few life / living changes and  gonna have to move my "bench" to a different location. I'm optimistic though, u haven't let anything neat me
Yet, except for the one project I melted down. It was cool, but a mark in the loss column.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

chromesphere

The only other change I could think of to make an SMT starter kit more beginner friendly is large component size.  There are slightly larger chips that you can use, but I don't think they are as common as the ones im using on my beginner board.  I think Rej summed it up, starter kit and SMT in the same sentence.  Unfortunately Jimi, I honestly believe this is as easy as SMT can get!

jimilee

No, it's all good. I think a smaller soldering tip kana great idea. I reD that after this attempt, and I discovered at micro size, I shake a bit. Who knew??? I think I can salvage it.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

chromesphere

I hate to see a fellow forum buddy in crisis, let me know if you want to try again and I can send you out a new board.  I've ordered some prototypes from oshpark, they take a long time to get here (about a month) but if you want one let me know jimi and ill send you the full kit again (for free of course).

Heres a picture of the update pcb.  Looks much better, the old version is just a bit of a cramped mess really.  This PCB was the first pcb I designed...for the record :D

jjanssen1

Quote from: chromesphere on September 01, 2014, 02:55:24 AM
I hate to see a fellow forum buddy in crisis, let me know if you want to try again and I can send you out a new board.  I've ordered some prototypes from oshpark, they take a long time to get here (about a month) but if you want one let me know jimi and ill send you the full kit again (for free of course).

Heres a picture of the update pcb.  Looks much better, the old version is just a bit of a cramped mess really.  This PCB was the first pcb I designed...for the record :D

Hi Chromesphere,
I would be interested in trying out SMD soldering, so do sell a kit or a pcb or something on your webstore that I could have a go at.
Cheers
Joshua
+[----->+++<]>+.+.[--->+<]>---.---[->++<]>.++[--->++<]>+.

jkokura

Jimi's first attempt is much better than my first. I just threw it away after I did it. I didn't even test it.

If through hole ever dies, I'll be done.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

muddyfox

a nice microscope can do wonders even for us elderly :)

jimilee

Quote from: muddyfox on September 02, 2014, 04:37:34 PM
Ha! I have jewelers glasses that go up to 5x

pickdropper

Quote from: muddyfox on September 02, 2014, 04:37:34 PM

AMScope has some nicely priced microscopes from China that have decent optics and are built quite well.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

davent

Picture captured on my laptop with the $13 usb endoscope i'm using in my pcb drilling setup. Haven't yet tried using it as a viewer for SMD soldering but i do see potential.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

The days of the Priesthood of Mars come...
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website