News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking, or Kingslayer.... eh what?

Started by Willybomb, April 15, 2014, 02:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

If I'm reading things right, both the Sunking and Kingslayer are clones of the Klon, yeah?  Or not?  What's the difference - is it that the Kingslayer is an improved version?

jkokura

They're not both clones of a Klon Centaur. I think the descriptions really help us in this case:

Kingslayer = NotAKlon

Sunking = AKlon

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jubal81

Kingslayer is a modernized version with a few more options. It's really fantastic if you don't have to have an exact copy.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

rullywowr

Quote from: jubal81 on April 15, 2014, 04:39:28 PM
Kingslayer is a modernized version with a few more options. It's really fantastic if you don't have to have an exact copy.

Exactly.  The Kingslayer is a definite improvement over a Klon (IMO).  Bean put several refinements in there which add to the versatility while making better use of components.  Still has a AKlon vibe but isn't exactly AKlon.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

jimilee

I don't understand the "or" part! It should be "and"
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

billstein

I've built both and think they're great but if I had to choose one it would definitely be the Kingslayer. Don't know if that will ever be pushed off my board.

juansolo

Essentially the Klon does a few things oddly.

The thing I most dislike is the distortion side of the circuit, indeed most people use it more as a clean boost. This is down to him intentionally having opamp clipping taking place in the first stage (only running at 9v). Then after shagging the signal there, he ups the headroom to 27v for the buffer. Which makes no sense to me at all... IIRC the Kingslayer runs +/-9V all the way through so opamp clipping doesn't occur, and it gives you other options for clipping (personally I prefer LEDs). I personally feel that it's a MUCH better effect for it. Plus it's all much more sensible and simple for it. I like that.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

billstein

Quote from: juansolo on April 15, 2014, 09:19:05 PM
Essentially the Klon does a few things oddly.

The thing I most dislike is the distortion side of the circuit, indeed most people use it more as a clean boost. This is down to him intentionally having opamp clipping taking place in the first stage (only running at 9v). Then after shagging the signal there, he ups the headroom to 27v for the buffer. Which makes no sense to me at all... IIRC the Kingslayer runs +/-9V all the way through so opamp clipping doesn't occur, and it gives you other options for clipping (personally I prefer LEDs). I personally feel that it's a MUCH better effect for it. Plus it's all much more sensible and simple for it. I like that.

Man, I wish I could answer like this. My answer is more like... "I like the Kingslayer better because it's....uhhhh....good." Sheeeesh.

dannoceti

Anyone else waiting to order a kingslayer today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jighead81

Yup Danno, I keep refreshing the page :)

GrindCustoms

I totally agree with Juan about the difference about the 2, for a «true» overdriven sound the KS blows any klone out of the water before you even plugged it. But for the clean boost ability, i still prefer the klone sound of it. The way it «rounds up» the midrange and how it makes the lower overtones expand is something unique to the klone.

With that said! My cart is just waiting for the SunkingII to be available..... ....for the science purpose! 8)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

HOT TUBES 70

Any word on when the Kingslayer boards will be back up for sale ?
I need two asap ...

madbean

I'm just waiting to hear from the manufacturer. Once they give me shipping notification, it will be three days until I get it. I'll update when I know more.

Kinki fuzz

1+ for the KS, to my ears you get the Klon but you get extra (great sounding!) options. So it's a better pedal.

Built both, kept the Kingslayer, sold the Klon.

HOT TUBES 70

I absolutely love my kingslayer ..... it rules the overdrive kingdom !!!!  :D