Main Menu

Hard time putting logo on PCB in Eagle CAD

Started by markeprice, May 20, 2016, 04:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markeprice

Quote from: gtr2 on May 23, 2016, 11:12:12 AM
Quote from: daleykd on May 20, 2016, 05:44:19 PM
Here we go... I hope.

Great tutorial and seems like a better method than I have been using!

The OP mentioned my logo and the circular logo on the Multiplex I believe.  One tip I have is to make the graphic a part.  Then you can just add the "part" to the schematic and use it as a stamp on your board.  Anytime you need to move the logo/graphic you won't have to group together the graphic.  It's also easier to reuse a common graphic like a logo.

Josh
So, I hate to ask this, but are there step by step instructions for adding a logo as a part?  .....That sounds genius!
Cuz they's made for Giggin!
Mark Price: owner frogpedals.com

daleykd

Quote from: gtr2 on May 23, 2016, 11:12:12 AM
The OP mentioned my logo and the circular logo on the Multiplex I believe.  One tip I have is to make the graphic a part.  Then you can just add the "part" to the schematic and use it as a stamp on your board.  Anytime you need to move the logo/graphic you won't have to group together the graphic.  It's also easier to reuse a common graphic like a logo.
Quote from: aion on May 23, 2016, 11:21:37 AM
+1000. The graphics are massive on their own (hundreds or thousands of tiny lines), so you are gonna be in a pickle if you add them directly to your board. Even if you're only using it once, I would still recommend creating it as a part!
Good point, guys.  I would do this if the size of my logo was the same on all my boards.  However, since I try my hardest to shrink the board to smallest possible size (without going SMD), my logo isn't the same size.

aion

Quote from: markeprice on May 23, 2016, 02:22:34 PM

So, I hate to ask this, but are there step by step instructions for adding a logo as a part?  .....That sounds genius!
Create a new package inside a library (I created a new library called 'aion-logos' to contain all of my logos). It will just be a package, not a full component - we don't want an associated schematic symbol.

Now you have an empty package - run the logo import process from there and it'll draw itself into the package.

I then use the "Change" tool to select everything and move it to the tPlace layer so I don't have to remember to include layer 100 in my CAM job.

markeprice

I will try that and see if I can figure it out!  Thanks
Cuz they's made for Giggin!
Mark Price: owner frogpedals.com

culturejam

Bumping this to offer some additional notes with a more recent version of Eagle (9.3.1).  Daleykd's PDF is still correct up until the dialog box that pops up when you run the import bitmap script. Every time I tried it (importing into a blank BRD so I can paste into a logo library and create a new part), I got a weird blue graphic that doesn't show up on the board layout. The trick, apparently, is to import into layer 21 (tplace) instead of the default of 200.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects