News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Sonic Screwdriver

Started by pickdropper, December 11, 2012, 02:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Having built one of Madbean's Cosmopolitans, I already knew that I loved the Screwdriver circuit.  I decided to shrink it down with (mostly) surface mount components.  This one is sort of a hybrid: the 3 transistors are through-hole and everything else is surface mount.

Special thanks to Jon (Midwayfair) for sending me some NPN Ge trannies. I still haven't tried them all out, but I socketed the Ge for that reason.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

hammerheadmusicman

That is amazing man! You are churning out some mind blowing stuff at the minute!!!

How/What do you use for the laser etching?

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

pickdropper

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on December 11, 2012, 02:25:13 PM
That is amazing man! You are churning out some mind blowing stuff at the minute!!!

How/What do you use for the laser etching?

George

Thanks George.  I use a 30W laser engraver by Epilog.  Great machine for this type of etching.  It can't go into bare metal, though.  It just engraves into the power coat or paint.
Function f(x)

Bret608

Still one of my favorite circuits! What kind of NPNs did Jon set you up with? I love the 2n1304 in mine. JakeFuzz sent me one with hfe around 55 and it works perfectly along with the BC108 I got from Smallbear. I really hope one of you will try out the "Fuzzball" (see Member Projects/Tutorials) as I think it's also a cool circuit that lives in this same sonic neighborhood.

This hybrid SMD/through-hole art certainly seems like the future...

midwayfair

This is a seriously beautiful enclosure, one of your best I think. I really like the way the engraving is happening at the moment -- not going to the bare metal.

Did you actually have a green stomp switch to match that case?

Nice job on the squeezing ... I don't think the AC127 is going to fit in there. :D

hammerheadmusicman

any chance of a link to the particlular model? I think i may investigate more, as you seem to be getting amazing results!

George

bigrigg

Wicked build and looks like crop circles.  Gorgeous.

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on December 11, 2012, 02:57:04 PM
This is a seriously beautiful enclosure, one of your best I think. I really like the way the engraving is happening at the moment -- not going to the bare metal.

Did you actually have a green stomp switch to match that case?

Nice job on the squeezing ... I don't think the AC127 is going to fit in there. :D

Thanks Jon.

This one actually does go to bare metal.  It is one of PPP's transparent finishes and you can see all the oxidation on the case under the finish.  Personally, I dig it.

The switch is green, but I the case matching is coincidence.  It is one if Mammoth's new switches.

And no, the AC127 isn't going to fit in there.  :-)
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on December 11, 2012, 02:57:42 PM
any chance of a link to the particlular model? I think i may investigate more, as you seem to be getting amazing results!

George

Hey George,

I'll dig it up for you later today.  I do know it is about $10k for the machine and there are other cost considerations with it as well (maintenance and ancillary equipment).

There are cheaper options that may make more sense for a home user.  Still pricey, tho.
Function f(x)

hammerheadmusicman

^ well, thats that idea 'down the shit pan' as they say ;)  i may look around for a trophy shop near me, as i know there are a few, and see if they can do some kind of deal..

thanks

G

GhostofJohnToad

Very neat and tidy.  Very noice!

+10 for the Doctor Who themed pedal! I have a Tardis themed design in the works.

G.G.

another beautiful build! It's crazy how ridiculously huge the transistors look compared with the rest of the components.

micromegas

WOW!
I thought that it could be cool to have a laser engraver, after that, I've realized that I realy NEED a laser engraver...
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

monkeyssj1

icecycle66