News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Christmas Build #3 - Compsuela - midwayfair's BearHug

Started by eldanko, December 13, 2012, 05:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldanko

This thing is a blast.  Easily the most silent and transparent compressor I've put together.  I tend to prefer more subtle compression (Afterlife being one of my favorites), and I was amazed at how well this thing interacts on the attack.  While it wouldn't be my first choice for chicken pickin' levels of squish, this thing is PERFECT for fast funky chopping and percussive work.  I'm not sure if the faster attack of the compression itself (as described by Jon in his thread) is to credit for this characteristic, but I absolutely love it.

Of all of the Christmas present builds I've done thus far, this is the one I've been most tempted to keep for myself.  May have to do another one of these. 

The first pedal I built for this friend was a Sabertooth with the "What the Fuzz?" graphic (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=2971.0).  I decided to play it safe and continue the Family Guy theme with this one.  Really starting to love doing colored decals over polished enclosures...

"Nooooo.... I stay."

www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

DutchMF

Damn, this is one clean build! Cool graphics, extremely neat guts.... Very nice... Not a big comp fan myself, but this rocks!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

monkeyssj1

nzCdog

Ettore_M

So funny!! Conmpsuela the Maid! I almost peed myself while laughing!  ;D Nice one!
Great build! As all your previous ones!  ;)

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

midwayfair

Great build, Dane! The insides of all these Christmas presents have been immaculate, and the decal work is great as always.

Glad you liked the circuit, good to know I'm not crazy! :)

Edit: What's that font?

Bret608

Glad to see one of these! This is on my list of builds for the new year for sure (just have to get around to ordering!). You're definitely onto something with the colored decal over polished enclosure. Have you been polishing them yourself, or do you get the pre-polished ones from PPP?

pickdropper

Haha, great graphic.

Clean on the inside, too (as always).
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

hammerheadmusicman

This looks amazing dude!

Love the decal!!

Have any of you guys etched one of these yet? I really want to build one, i might etch one next weekend, as i'm too poor to buy a fabbed board till after xmas! But i definitely want to buy a fabbed one to support Jon obviously. Just wondering if there has been any etched build reports, or should i race to be first ;)

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

JakeFuzz

Excellent as usual Dane! I just picked one of these up after hearing Jon's demo, sounds great. Love that super subtle compression.

"Oh noooo.... meestar need more windows... i no can clean"

eldanko

Quote from: midwayfair on December 13, 2012, 08:00:14 PM
Great build, Dane! The insides of all these Christmas presents have been immaculate, and the decal work is great as always.

Glad you liked the circuit, good to know I'm not crazy! :)

Edit: What's that font?

Appreciate the kind words, sir!  It's funny... the last few builds I've done for myself have been "cram as much as you can in a soooper tight space" type things.  It's actually nice to be able to concentrate on making the wiring nice and concise instead of just trying to make everything fit!

The font is Red October, available here:  http://www.dafont.com/red-october.font

Quote from: Bret608 on December 13, 2012, 09:40:58 PM
You're definitely onto something with the colored decal over polished enclosure. Have you been polishing them yourself, or do you get the pre-polished ones from PPP?

Been polishing myself.  I'd love to pick up a cheap sander for Christmas and actually do them quality, as I've been sanding them by hand.  However, doing them that way has allowed me to get this nice in-between sort of finish that's both shiny and a little scratchy.

eldanko

Quote from: JakeFuzz on December 14, 2012, 12:32:18 AM
"Oh noooo.... meestar need more windows... i no can clean"

I'm surprised it took this long for the quotes to start coming out.   ;D

jkokura

"Well, how bout I give you the money and you go to the store and get the compressor."

"uh, er, no, meester, uh, no."

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

studiodunn

Awesome grahics and super tidy build!
I built this the day Jon posted it and it is one of my favorite all purpose Comps to date. As many have said, it is SUPER quite.