News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

It is completed after 1 year / a Bass build pictorial

Started by jimilee, December 06, 2013, 06:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

After working on this project for a year, it is completed. I built it over the summer and played it in the fall, and then recently someone on the forums turned us all on to Wudtone Guitar finishes. I went to BYOGUTAR.com and made this, and I knew this was The One! The color is called Flamenco Cherry.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Gilmourisgod

Dang that's sweet. I built a fretless jazz years ago out of Warmouth parts, ebony fretboard with maple fret markers. I had the fingerboad expoxy coated by Pedulla Guitars in Rockland Mass. Where did you get the parts? My only gripe with Jazz basses is they are a little neck heavy. How's this one hang for you? I dig the chickenhead knobs. Standard wiring? If I had it to do again, I'd wire Master Volume, Master Tone, and pickup blend for the controls. I always found dual volume controls a PITA. Nice work, do tell.

G.G.

croquet hoop

The grain pattern of that ash body is awesome. Great colors too, that's a nice JB!

Now you need to put a 9V battery in the control cavity and orange LEDs under those transparent chickenhead knobs!

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

rullywowr

Awesome build!  I'm thinking built in bass od in the control cavity :)

Oh, when is the next Tayda coupon coming?  Lol

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Govmnt_Lacky

I see a great many Daddy/daughter tea parties happening for you at that tiny pink table Jimi!  8)

Lovely work on the Bass! Wish I had the patience to build my own guitar  ::)

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Thomas_H

DIY-PCBs and projects:

Cortexturizer

I was scrolling and I was like wow that's an awesome bass..

and then the colored pictures came, and I was like DUUUDE what an intense color, love it!
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

jimilee

Thanks for all the kind words, you guys are the best. My daugjtwr has been coming to rehearsal with me, and we hooked up a mic just for her!
Light up chicken heads would be awesome!!!
Quote from: Gilmourisgod on December 06, 2013, 06:20:37 PM
Dang that's sweet. I built a fretless jazz years ago out of Warmouth parts, ebony fretboard with maple fret markers. I had the fingerboad expoxy coated by Pedulla Guitars in Rockland Mass. Where did you get the parts? My only gripe with Jazz basses is they are a little neck heavy. How's this one hang for you? I dig the chickenhead knobs. Standard wiring? If I had it to do again, I'd wire Master Volume, Master Tone, and pickup blend for the controls. I always found dual volume controls a PITA. Nice work, do tell.
Standard wiring, I use the separate pickups for certain situations neck for slower songs, bridge for heavier songs, and both for being really loud! It's not neck heavy at all, and sounds very deep. Neck and body came from guitar center and he rest came from eBay. Knobs were supposed to be temporary, but they work. I rally dig the color thank you so much.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

DutchMF

Jimi, this looks amazing! Awesome wrapped in a bass guitar form. It must feel so good to play that..... And I must second croquet hoop on the LED's, that would be awesome2!! Enjoy!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

davent

Quote from: croquet hoop on December 06, 2013, 06:45:13 PM
The grain pattern of that ash body is awesome. Great colors too, that's a nice JB!

Now you need to put a 9V battery in the control cavity and orange LEDs under those transparent chickenhead knobs!

If you're just going to power a few LED's go with a pair of AAA's and they'll last forever.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

bcalla

That's a real beauty!!  I have a guitar or bass build on my bucket list, I'm jealous.

If you posted a thread on this earlier, I missed it.  Curious about how you started this - source of parts, etc.  If there's a thread, point me to it!

Oh, and I vote for a built-in phaser.