News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wah pedal to build

Started by djaaz, April 17, 2012, 10:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djaaz

Hi guys,

I have a wah enclosure that i used to control the speed of a tremulus.
Taylor's tap tempo board made it useless.

I own a vox v847 wah that i like way better than a crybaby but does not use that much. somehow i find it too "clean".
I was ready to etch a clyde Mccoy board using fuzzcentral layout but then i thought i could ask for feedback first.

What would you guys build if you had a wah enclosure lying around?

jkokura

A clyde...

Or the weener.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

timbo_93631

The V847 isn't actually very different than a clyde.  The PCB has a different layout to facilitate the connector, and EBC pinout of MPSA18's.  It is very very similar to vintage crybaby's.  If you wanted to get your V847 to Clyde spec you swap the caps, 10nf should be polystyrene or polypropylene film and foil 0.22's should be polyester film, Mullard Tropical fish or Phillips mustards sound good.  Beyond that you'd want to change the MPSA18's for BC109b or 2N2925 transistors, the 33k inductor bypass resistor for a 100k, the 4.7uf electrolytic for a 4uf and the inductor for a Whipple or some other Halo inductor, smallbear has a few different types.  Then you could build a weener wah in the other enclosure so you could play around tweaking all the values and have so much wah goodness!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

claytushaywood

I'm working on a colorsound inductorless wah right now.  i'm still trying to get some advice on how to tweak it to get it sounding just right, but check out some demos of the real thing, very unique and awesome sounding... plus it's a super easy circuit to put on vero, just a couple small caps, few resistors and 1 transistor.  best part.... NO INDUCTOR!!!

it definitely has a different sound than a regular wah... it can get some pretty almost synth kinda shifts.  Check out a demo of one on youtube.  Tagboard FX has a vero for it, but it's got a few wrong values that I've been trying to get sorted out with Ivark.  I've almost got it, just working on the taper right now, I think it may be just a matter of converting a LOG pot to a linear pot... by the way does anyone know what kind of pot is in a crybaby?  all the shift is bunched up near the middle of my gcb95 crybaby's pot sweep- so i'm thinking it's audio and I need to flatten it or make it linear.  I posted a topic in the "extra projects" area if anyone is willing to help a dude out.  I think it could be a supremely awesome DIY project given the lack of a $20 inductor in an already expensive enclosure.  It's such a small circuit you could put two circuits in one wah shell and throw a toggle to switch between em... ultimate use of expensive enclosure and pedalboard real estate!

Diamond

COLORSOUND!!

But the circuit with the inductor, not the inductorless. I'm currently working on one myself.

djaaz

Thanks guys.

I'm not to keen to mod my VOX. I'm pretty sure it could be enhanced, pretty sure i could screw it up.
Fact is, i'm more curious than anything else and i don't mod anything working except if i know exactly why and what to expect.

Post was really helpful though: i will etch two boards, one for the clyde and the second for the colorsound. I have two inductors, one "eye rock" inductor i bought from smallbear, the second i rescued from a broken rocktron.
I'll try socket everything i can and make ideas for myself.

Thanks for sharing links and thoughts!