News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anybody ever seen this or know what it is?

Started by jimilee, July 08, 2016, 10:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

Fancy push plate for a door (to protect the door surface) ?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

New neighbor has it in his doorway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

Believe it has something to do w/ Judaism...not sure.

somnif

Quote from: madbean on July 08, 2016, 10:37:56 PM

Yep! It's called a "Mezuzah". It has a piece of parchment inside with a prayer on it. (Traditionally Jews were supposed to inscribe the words on their doors. This involves less carving)

https://www.ajudaica.com/Jerusalem-Two-Tone-Pewter-Mezuzah/item1658

jimilee

Quote from: somnif on July 08, 2016, 10:43:58 PM
Quote from: madbean on July 08, 2016, 10:37:56 PM

Yep! It's called a "Mezuzah". It has a piece of parchment inside with a prayer on it. (Traditionally Jews were supposed to inscribe the words on their doors. This involves less carving)

https://www.ajudaica.com/Jerusalem-Two-Tone-Pewter-Mezuzah/item1658
Thank you!!! You win the internetz for the day!!!

drolo

And I thought it was some kind of fancy guitar tail piece ...

culturejam

Beat me to it, somnif.

My wife's cousin converted, and he's got one of those tacked up on his door.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

disorder

I just noticed one of these on my neighbors door a few days ago. Glad to know it's purpose.  8)

slimtriggers

Not to offend anyone's religious sensibilities, but he probably coulda put a level to that before he nailed it in place  ???

somnif

The angle is intentional. Its supposed to be angled towards the interior as to show god is invited inside (or something along those lines). It also was a compromise between two medieval Rabbis who were arguing over whether it should be vertical or horizontal (yeah, orthodoxy argues over random crap like that. Religion is weird).

I only know what it is because my Ex's parents had one on their door, and I tend to be a bit of a magpie with random factoids like that.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: slimtriggers on July 12, 2016, 12:23:05 AM
Not to offend anyone's religious sensibilities, but he probably coulda put a level to that before he nailed it in place  ???
http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/225405/jewish/Mezuzah-Placement.htm

"It should be placed at a slight angle, with the top of the Mezuzah pointing toward the inside of the room and the bottom pointing toward the outside."

slimtriggers

I figured there was probably a significance to the angle. It just messes with my Chi a little bit  ;)

blearyeyes