News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Crash course in Eagle CAD: video demo of schematic to layout

Started by culturejam, May 14, 2012, 01:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

This is a rough desktop capture video of me running through the process of making a schematic and then a PCB layout. There is no audio or text annotation. Just some background music and me going through the process. Fast.   ;D

I plan to do a more detailed version in the future with either voice audio or text. But for now, this will give you an idea of how it all works.

Obviously, I didn't spend much time optimizing the layout. I didn't even load any design rules, which is important for fabrication. The idea was to show the whole process from start to finish, and I think the video is fairly representative of that process.

Note: I'm using the Guass-Markov parts library found here: http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/tools/software/eagle/eagle-2-libraries/  I've modified the bejesus out of my libraries, but everything I do in the video you can do with the default set.

Note 2: I use the command bar several times to type in commands. So keep your eyes on that (at the top of the screen).

I've posted it on vimeo:

Or, you can download the uncompressed version from DropBox and watch it non-streaming:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dlzu3nqg61wym2h/tLaZf0HZhb

It's interesting for me to watch it so that I can see how non-linear my thought process is.   :D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

culturejam

And oh yeah: I missed one of the tie points (on the output coupling cap). Didn't notice until I watched the video.

jubal81

This is great. Picked up a ton of tips. What's the hotkey to redraw/update after drawing a trace?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

culturejam

Quote from: jubal81 on May 15, 2012, 02:38:47 PM
What's the hotkey to redraw/update after drawing a trace?

Just type "rat" and hit enter.  :)

Haberdasher

thanks effdub I'm sure we all appreciate this effort
I need to re-watch at some point as I'm sure I missed a bunch
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

plesur

Nice video.

POLY GND is a sweet little shortcut.

Any reason why you use WIRE instead of NET to connect up your schematic?

culturejam

Quote from: plesur on May 15, 2012, 03:47:53 PM
Any reason why you use WIRE instead of NET to connect up your schematic?

Hmm, never thought about it. I guess that's just how I saw other people do it.

gtr2

I think eagle converts the any placed WIRES to NETS when it's a part to part connection.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

culturejam

Just looked in the Eagle 5 manual. It says not to use WIRE, but to use NETS. But it doesn't say why or what happens if you don't.

I've never had an issue with using WIRE, but I suppose I should start using the right tool. I guess.

plesur

Quote from: culturejam on May 15, 2012, 04:20:28 PM
Just looked in the Eagle 5 manual. It says not to use WIRE, but to use NETS. But it doesn't say why or what happens if you don't.

I've never had an issue with using WIRE, but I suppose I should start using the right tool. I guess.

You get free junctions if you do!  ;)

culturejam

I think I found the answer on this forum:
http://www.electro-tech-online.com/electronic-projects-design-ideas-reviews/25569-eagle-cad-connector-problem-cant-hook-up-wires.html

Quotealso be sure to use NET command and not the WIRE command when drawing your schematic ... the netlist (made with nets) tells the autorouter connect A to B ... the wire command just creates signals, and will confuse the heck out of the autorouter (if you dont care about the autorouter, then it doesn't make much difference)

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

thetrend77

Ok, this was my first time I've ever tried my hand at Eagle so I tried something simple (your Dead Easy Dirt project, CJ).

Does this look correct?

culturejam

Yes, that looks correct.

I would add the connectors to the junctions (the dots) to make it more by the book. Or you could use the NETS tool instead of WIRE, as discussed above.  :)

thetrend77

Awesome! I had never wanted to try Eagle before since it seemed so complicated, but your video obviously helped a ton lol

Also (a little off-topic), not that I'm going to get THIS one made, but where do you guys get your fabbed boards from? That Dorkbot site?