Previous topic - Next topic

Egodriver mod: Midrange

Midrange
3 (50%)
Midrange
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Carlos Barros

Hi, someone can help me to mod my egodriver to put it more midrange to sound more like the Orange amp distorsion? Thanks for read and help!  

B_of_H

Carlos Barros

with this pedal you said, i can put more midrange on my egodriver?

B_of_H

Quote from: Carlos Barros on January 04, 2011, 01:53:43 PM
with this pedal you said, i can put more midrange on my egodriver?

it's a mid-booster circuit.  I built up both circuits and wired them in series then boxed it up.  There is a pot for midrange boost.  It's not too difficult a perfboard build if you are up for that.

I've tried to get more midrange out of the ego circuit and the only way to do it I could come up with was to reduce highs and lows which I didn't want to do. 

Carlos Barros

So if i build the pedal you've said i'll have more midrangeon my ego?

Tragic

I would like to knock off some of the low end on my Egodriver. Any ideas how to do that?

Carlos Barros

on my pedal i've tried many diffrente caps for C8, and the one i liked is 10n it reduces more the dark tone

B_of_H

Quote from: Tragic on January 05, 2011, 06:04:57 PM
I would like to knock off some of the low end on my Egodriver. Any ideas how to do that?

You have too much low end?  I have the opposite problem with this circuit but...

You could raise c8 to 39n and that would cut a little bass and lowering c7 to 1u might also reduce bass but i'm not sure 100% on that.   

other ideas, just off the top of my head:

- raise pull down to 1.5m (r1) or even 2m which would make the input impedance higher ala brighter
- raise r3 to 510k = brighter

Tragic

I think Carlos Barros described it best. The pedal has kind of a dark tone. I would like to lighten it up, a bit.
Thanks for the ideas.

B_of_H

it depends on your guitar or setup but I always find it has more highs than I could ever use.  To each their own.  :)

ftr I always run mine at 18v. 

you could raise the input impedance by putting a 2m2 pull down couldn't you?  wouldn't that brighten it up a tad?

I also find that a JRC4580D opens up the pedal and makes it a little more articulate and slightly brighter.  TLO82's are great for carving a little high end 'furryness' off of some circuits.  If you swap a tl072 in there you'll get a little more high end in my experience but I find it kinda harsh. 

B_of_H

Quote from: B_of_H on January 02, 2011, 10:08:37 PM
I put one of these in front of it:

http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10435

I should have said after it...before makes it too dirty.  If you like running it at low gain though you might find before it works well but it dirties it up considerably. 

Tragic

So, I replaced C8 with a 10n. I did not hear much change. So, I replaced the op amp to a JRC4580D. That did it...wow!....big difference. I does give you much more gain (flame thrower gain), but removed that dark tone. I have not had a chance to gig with it (that is the true test, for me). But, I will have a chance next weekend. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Myramyd

Hey Guys,

Just to clarify, do you really mean a JRC4580D, or do you mean a JRC4558D?

Also, any thoughts on what effect a OPA2134PA would have in this pedal? Just curious. I assume it would be the same as the above.

To me the Egodriver sounds really good on its own but I struggle with it in a band practice situation. It may just be the mids, so B_of_H's mid pedal may be the real fix. This is through a DRRI anyway. Perhaps I haven't spent enough time tweaking the tone/gain levels as well. I ended up turning the gain way down and goosing it with a low gain TS to get me through. That did sound good but I hate to use two pedals if I don't  have to.

J

B_of_H

fwiw - with the tl082 I like the midboost post ego...with the 4580D it sounds better in front driving the circuit harder.  (subject to change)  the 82 gets too dirty at anything above 11:00 on the gain knob with the mid-boost in front while the 4580 can soak up that signal and remain articulate even with the gain near full (at 18v of course).  at 9v i'd assume that you'd be getting some fizzy opamp clipping at anything above 11:00 either way with either chip. 

Here is how I see it:

- the ocd was designed with a marshall amp in mind (i'm assuming), the idea was to get a low volume marshall amp to sound like it was cranked (just a guess, but I might remember reading something like this)
- the lack of mid-boost while working perfectly on a marshall might be a little too scooped into a fender amp especially with lower output pickups. 
- a cranked amp imo usually seems to push the mid-range and low end more than the high end when compared to how it sounds at lower volume.  So IMO a pedal that is meant to sound like a cranked amp should have a little more mids and a little more bass than the bypass signal as long as the amp can handle it.  I use a reverend goblin (15w 6v6 into 1x10 combo) as my test amp to make sure i'm not adding too much bass as my other amps are all 40w and more with high wattage speakers (crex, evm 12l, delta pro 12a).  but then again I have a ragin cajun and ramrod for the goblin and these speakers handle more bass than a 25w jensen 10' probably. 

I use both the jrc4580D and the other 4580D (njm?), I don't keep track of which is which unfortunately.

the 10n for c8 should cut some serious bass shouldn't it?  I have a 56n in one and a 47n/56n on a switch in another and a 68n in another (which is real bassy but I like it with big amps/ev speakers).  The 47n seems about unity bass to me.  If you liked the IC swap then I'd be curious as to whether you should go back and try that 47n for c8 again.  It might be that the darkness you were hearing was in the clipping section rather than the actual high pass filter?  (correct me if i'm wrong) the 1n cap in the clipping section is there to roll off some high end in the clipped signal so reducing the size of that cap might let some more sizzle through?  are you sure all your caps are the right value?  if that 10n didn't cut bass it worries me that the circuit isn't up to spec at some point. 

I guess it all depends on what type of amp you play through.  A princeton reverb might not like the 47n when used above unity volume but a twin might sound thin and cut bass with anything less than 47n etc...

I've tried the opa2134 and I don't remember liking it as much as either the 082 or 4580D but I tried about 20 different dual-opamps in the same day so I can't remember it specifically.  the result of my testing of these opamps boiled down to the 082 being good for a darker tone or lower gain sounds while the 4580 is better for higher gain levels. 

I usually only have that mid-boost pot at about 8:00 to 9:00 with my low output humbuckers (on a bright tele 7.8k fralins) or about 10:00 on single coils but there is plenty of mids on tap for even super low output pickups if needed. 

that's about all I got  ;D

Haberdasher

I put an LM833 in mine the other day.  I like it much better than the jrc082 I tried in it, which sounded a little on the muddy side for some reason.
I haven't tried the 4580d yet.  I may dig around tonight & see if I can find one.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS