News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Looking for a small 1P3T (prefer toggle, but rotary if necessary)

Started by midwayfair, November 25, 2013, 06:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

I need a switch with three independent throws and a single common connection (to ground).

Asci circuitlet:

|----------|           |
Cap 1  Cap 2    Other thing
|           |            |
   \           \            \

|
      G (common connection)

Cap 1 and cap 2 must be disconnected when the other thing is grounded (though they could both be in the circuit together if needed, either in series or in parallel), so I can't use a SPDT center off.

Anyone come across such a thing?

I may have seen a slide switch that had four lugs on it, but I can't remember where. Twould be perfect if there was a toggle like that.

x-posted from DIYSB. I'll update if I hear anything there ...

rullywowr

EDIT:  Drrt..wrong one.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

midwayfair

croquet hoop

Just be careful, there are two types of on-on-on DPDT switches, which connect different lugs on the center position:

I think Mark from tagboardeffects used a DPDT on-on-on with a jumper to replace the SP3T on his Riot layout, so if a SP3T is what you need, it looks like the best solution.

CRBMoA

Quote from: croquet hoop on November 25, 2013, 07:22:15 PM
Just be careful, there are two types of on-on-on DPDT switches, which connect different lugs on the center position:

I think Mark from tagboardeffects used a DPDT on-on-on with a jumper to replace the SP3T on his Riot layout, so if a SP3T is what you need, it looks like the best solution.

^^^THIS^^^

I just got bitten by that monster last week. I had 10 switches that did NOT do what I wanted. I figured a work-around, but Croquet Hoop speaks the truth!

midwayfair

The only one that Smallbear carries is the right one, and Slacker over on DIY said he hasn't come across one that worked differently. Do you remember where you saw the wrong ones so they can be avoided?

croquet hoop

I am not sure, I know that both types exist but I think the one Smallbear sells is the most common. If you're designing a board with such a switch, just use this one and add something in the build doc to warn the builder. If you wire it off board, just test the switch beforehand and adjust the jumper location if needed.

haveyouseenhim

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

midwayfair

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on November 26, 2013, 08:59:04 AM
Would a slide switch work for you?

I did find a four-pole slide switch at mouser, but square holes and round pegs or something like that, you know? :)