News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

So angry I could scream / cry / punch a wall

Started by LaceSensor, July 04, 2012, 10:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

For no reason my PC picked up a virus tonight, something called a Window Locker Trojan.
I got into safe mode and was starting to try some remedies online.
Needed to reboot, but now I cant reboot into safe mode.
So, essentially, I feel like my PC is fucked. And what this thing does as well as completely locking out your system, is it ruins / resizes / locks all your files.

I guess I learn my lesson now re: backups :(
Im just so....grrrr....arrgh dont even know where to start
I cant handle this ffs

sorry just needed to write this somewhere

2tonewarrior

Backups... Most of people (included me) have learned the lesson the bad way.

Relax, give you a day (if you doesn´t need it to work) and return to the computer. It´s useless trying to look for a solution to a bad trojan/virus being angry.

k.rock!

I'm sorry to hear this dude...

Best advice I can give you: Buy a Mac ;)

-K
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

mgwhit

As long as your file system isn't trashed (and there's no reason to believe it is yet) you should be able to get the data off of it without a problem.  Someone who knows what they're doing can boot off of a Linux based boot disk, mount your drive read-only, move your files to a safe location (USB hard drive, separate partition, another networked PC), scan them for viruses, reinstall your OS and restore your files.  If you can't do that yourself, you might know someone who can (I've done it for friends and family more than once).  Or you can probably pay someone $100-150.  Just don't do anything rash.  Good luck!

nzCdog

Man that sucks! >:(

I just had a virus too, doesn't sound as bad as yours tho.  I got a bit complacent as I havent had a virus in 10 years...  It was a Trojan in a hosted copy of DIY Layout creator!   :( :( :(

The cure was reinstall the OS, and I was lucky to have file backups
The computer runs better now than before the Virus too, which is a bonus

PS Kaleb

:-* ;)

night-B

Go to Mac! There was only one massive virus attack in years  ;D

alanp

Saw a good comic once. Mac: What are you doing tonight, PC? PC: Just playing some games. Mac: Which ones? PC: Oh, you know, all of them.

In other words; parents, buy a mac. Your kids will HAVE to do schoolwork on it, then!

Lace, how did you pick it up? Internet explorer, or email?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

nzCdog

jimijam

tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!

JakeFuzz

Quote from: mgwhit on July 05, 2012, 12:22:05 AM
As long as your file system isn't trashed (and there's no reason to believe it is yet) you should be able to get the data off of it without a problem.  Someone who knows what they're doing can boot off of a Linux based boot disk, mount your drive read-only, move your files to a safe location (USB hard drive, separate partition, another networked PC), scan them for viruses, reinstall your OS and restore your files.  If you can't do that yourself, you might know someone who can (I've done it for friends and family more than once).  Or you can probably pay someone $100-150.  Just don't do anything rash.  Good luck!

Yep get a live boot CD of a basic Linux operating system (Ubuntu works just fine) and boot into that system. Use the partitioning tools to either create a clean partition and move all of you important documents to it. Or you can move all your data to a different disk (USB hard drive or really big flash disk depending on how much stuff you have). Then do a clean install of windows on the infected partition, don't boot back into Windows until you have reformatted the original OS partition. Should only take about a day or so to get it all done. If the OS is factory installed with no backup disks you may need to order the OS disks. If it is 7 you can just download the install iso from Microsoft. If you were running XP you are going to have driver problems when the new OS loads, 7 though should take care of everything. Let us know how it turns out!

LaceSensor

Won't have time til the weekend
I Didnt do anything just my screen froze up locked with this virus image. Googled it on my work laptop.
I'll probably buy a cheap hard drive and install xp for which I have the official cd, then try to ran my files to a portable hard drive.

I only care for my photos and pedal building docs, the rest I can re download. Still, hassle.

I woulda been able to deal with it up but I think my os win7 is now corrupt it can't be repaired and won't boot to safe mode. I have a very small ssd drive boot so no room to make partitions etc.

Thanks for advice and trolls. I might get a mac, once I can save my pictures and files.

k.rock!

hahaha! oh my God, Mary Kate and Ashley! that was so funny...

Corey, certainly didn't mean to "troll" it up. Sorry you're in such defense against macs. Frankly, I don't give a crap what brand computer can give me a simple OS to use, something I don't have to constantly be on top of if with Anti-everything or else the computer would explode on me, and the software is a lot cheaper than other OS's.

Unfortunately, Mac is the one who gives me all that. If Windows can make a computer like that heck! I'll jump on it! Specially since a Windows computer is much cheaper. I do like Windows 7 though. I think they got it right this time. Vista was just terrible.

Anyways, Lacesensor, I really hope you can get your data back man. I've been there before and I know how much it really makes you feel like you wanna grab a bat and beat the crap out of you computer. The Linux idea is really good. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes man! And yes, once you save all of your data, get a Mac (sorry Corey) haha!

-K
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

culturejam

Quote from: k.rock! on July 05, 2012, 04:37:58 PM
Specially since a Windows computer is much cheaper.

With a little planning and some extra work, you can get OS X to run on many non-Apple computers. Check it:
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

nzCdog

Yea Kaleb I'm sorry my posting sounded a tad harsh. I guess I had very recently been thru the gut-wrenching + time-consuming process of recovering a virus sabotaged computer... >:( >:( >:(  So I couldn't see the funny side of 'get a mac' on behalf of Lace. 

I've had Macs on and off over the years, they're fine.  I had a new 17" Mac lappy last year for work, it was very nice... slim alloy frame, nice OS, nice touchpad thing etc etc.  However just like all computers I've used, it disappointed (read: totally sh*tted its friggin pants) at extraordinarily inconvenient times.     
So I don't buy the Mac hype personally...

plus windoze has teh betta keyboardz ;);D