News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Modding a Wii controller for the disabled.

Started by SmoothAction, February 27, 2015, 06:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmoothAction

Hey friends.

I was approached by a good buddy who does PT and caregiving for the disabled/handicapped. One of his clients has been expressing interest in playing video games. My friend and I both love gaming and really want to help this guy out, especially my friend who has a huge heart and wants to see his clients have fun and be happy.

The client can't grasp with his hands or pinch with his fingers, but has (limited) movement in his arms and feet. In doing some research we found this link...

http://rearlab.gatech.edu/factsheetz/Wiimote+Assembly+Instructions.pdf

Basically it is a small mod to send the button data to an external controller. This part is easy and I wouldn't have any problem doing this myself, what is challenging to us is figuring out the external controller and its configuration to accomodate the clients specific needs. I was thinking two large panels, one would sit on his lap/wheelchair and one on the floor. Both would have jumbo 4" arcade style buttons. However, my friend and I think this may be too much physical work for the client, or it may even be painful, so we're at a stand still. We were really going out there with new ideas, like having the client activate the buttons through a tube he can blow through.

I know there a lot of very smart and creative people here and I would appreciate any input. Keep in mind the client has limited arm and foot movement, but cannot grasp or pinch. I know this is quite the challenge, but I really want to see this through and I just know we can bounce around ideas to come up with something. I going to meet the client today to get a better feel of what he needs, but I thought I'd get the ball rolling so all you problem solvers have something to think about today.

I'm excited to see what y'all come up with! Namaste.
-max

pryde

Not sure what diagnosis the patient has and what the full range of motion limitations are so that really would be needed more specifically to make the best recommendation.

I am an OT (currently practicing just a bit in industrial therapy/ergonomics) but have many years in neurological an musculo-skeletal treatment. If upper body gross motor control is fairly well intact you may consider using the large pad/buttons between the inner elbow and side of body (placed verically with button on inner elbow area. The patient could lightly squeeze (adduct) the arm into his body and activate the control. Controls could be placed on either side for 2-button action  :)

Using large muscle groups to perform the action seems most beneficial based on your description.

SmoothAction

Thank you for the very concise response Pryde. After meeting with the client it's not going to be as involved as I assumed. He's a healthy and fully capable client, just a victim of a nasty car accident. Mentally he's all there and has a great outlook. Careful out there guys!

Anyway I came up with this graphic and it seems to be the best option. One large panel with jumbo arcade buttons and and arcade controller (with street fighter 2 graphics under plexiglass and a shitload off LEDs for flair). According to him he has full, non-painful movement in his arms but can't grab objects. My friend who is his caregiver can put an elastic band around his hands for drawing and writing, holding a pen/pencil/brush in the hands appears to be no problem. We decided that the jumbo 4" arcade buttons would be fine for button smashing. My buddy had the idea to take the ball off the top of the joystick so he can insert a pen/whatever into the shaft of the joystick that's held in place with the elastic band. Seems like we're on the right track here.

Thanks for the insight Pryde, I'll post a picture of the graphic when I get on my computer later.

alanp

I'm a complete goober when it comes to this stuff (hint: in Kiwi slang, a goober is a globule of phlegm or spit, *NOT* baby food), so I didn't comment on your first post.

Please pass on my best wishes to the client, though -- where there is life, there is hope :D :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pryde

Great news glad to hear a solution is forming. I have treated spinal cord injury patients from mild to severe sensory/motor disfunction and there is always a solution to get life tasks done with some will and creativity. Keep us updated