News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SIP strips vs n-DIP sockets

Started by jessenator, July 30, 2022, 04:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessenator

I'm putting in an order to Tayda and I was looking at the prices of sockets... I think it's actually cheaper (from them) to get n-DIP
sockets for pedal ICs than to buy those SIP strips and clipping them. IDR who, but someone was commenting (or intimating) that the SIPs were cheaper on a previous post of mine.

so for, say, 8-DIP application, you'll get 50 ICs' worth for $3.90

for a dedicated 8-DIP socket, it's only $1.50 for the same number

For something like a 14-DIP, you'd only get 28 and a few leftovers for that $3.90 versus $1.40 for dedicated...

This isn't supposed to be a gotcha! so much as a revelation that, yeah, the discrete n-DIP packages are cheaper than buying those strips, and immeasurably less frustrating! Also, AFAICT, this isn't quantity of scale factored in here, so...

Not to say that SIP strips aren't useful—they are—but if you're only getting them for ICs, it's cheaper to go this route it seems.

And I know there's a lot of hate/disdain for Tayda's wares, but I look at it like I would shop for tools at Harbor Freight: there are things that are definitely worth it. I wouldn't ever buy electrolytics from them again, but hey, the rest isn't that bad.

jimilee

SIP sockets are more ideal for transistors, or when you run out of dip sockets. I use them for the former.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

EBK

Those SIP strips have machined pin sockets, while those DIP sockets have cheaper spring leaf sockets.  They are lower quality, hence cheaper.  You can get machined DIP sockets, if you want better quality, but you'll probably find the SIP sockets cheaper and more versatile.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jessenator

Quote from: EBK on July 30, 2022, 07:29:13 PM
those DIP sockets have cheaper spring leaf sockets.  They are lower quality, hence cheaper.

I did notice that point. I'm not too fussed, honestly. I've actually had more leg contact issues with the machined-style sockets, but I know, anecdotal evidence and all that :) They'd definitely have more longevity with push/pull heavy activity.

Betty Wont

I swear by the spring leaf sockets only.