News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

4066 bilateral sw with true bypass

Started by artstomp, May 11, 2013, 05:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artstomp

i'm trying to design an electronic sw using the CD4066....integrating a 2P2T sw for true bypass capability...i have not tried it on breadboard...anyone willing to verify it?....

ON state

BYPASS mode
It's a standard practice to route the input of the effects when in bypass mode. Output is also routed to ground...but i'm not sure if it is necessary...or will it lessen the "pops" if there are any..

crashguitar

The Tone God has a schematic that uses this and I have used it successfully in some pedals. I really like it.  :D Have you looked at what he did: http://tech.thetonegod.com/switches/switches.html?

Chad

culturejam

Quote from: crashguitar on May 11, 2013, 02:01:46 PM
The Tone God has a schematic that uses this and I have used it successfully in some pedals. I really like it.  :D Have you looked at what he did: http://tech.thetonegod.com/switches/switches.html?

Chad

Those are so friggin complicated! I'm not sure what the advantage is for replacing one switch with two large ICs, a couple passives, and a switch. The extra board space will cost more than just buying a 3PDT and being doing with it. I believe Andrew wrote that article back when 3PDT switches were $10 each. At that price, the ICs etc look far more reasonable.

Of course, momentary switches are cool. So for the right project, it might be worth the hassle/cost.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

crashguitar

Getting the parts from Tayda, it really isn't any more expensive than a 3pdt. The momentary are $2, the 4066 is $0.28, the 40106 are $0.26, and the resistors are pennies. Tayda sells the 3pdt for $3. That is not any savings, but not more expensive. 

The space issue is different and depends on the project. I actually used it in a Neptune build (great project, by the way!) and it was not a problem to fit it in there.

The 3pdt is definitely easier, but I kind of like not having the big click on some builds. On my regular bar gig pedals, it is not a big deal. However, I play occasionally at church and there it makes a difference. This method is way cheaper than all the relay based versions I have seen for click-less switching.

All that said, I am really still pretty much a noob, so I would defer to smarter minds.

Chad

culturejam

These days I tend to look at production issues. Adding the two ICs to a given project increases the production cost of PCBs. Going SMD would help, but there is still a cost associated with it. It may be better in the long run, but that's something you have to suss on a per-project basis.

It would probably be a cool standalone project to produce. Like a board to hold the ICs and other parts, and have it mount to a momentary switch. I feel like going momentary is the best, as they will last a lot longer than a mechanical switch. After all, replacing one mechanical with another doesn't really help out with reducing switch failure, and it doesn't get rid of the loud ker-chunk when you actuate.

artstomp

..thanks Chad, Culturejam...your comments were eye openers...and i'm just happy learning and exploring my "little" knowledge in electronics...my goal was to design a noiseless switch and at the same time true bypass...so it was kinda "hybrid"...lol  ;D...

learning electronics is really FUN! :D

and Culturejam is right...production cost should be taken into consideration when designing electronic products...tnx guys...

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

culturejam

Quote from: artstomp on May 11, 2013, 05:54:36 PMand Culturejam is right...production cost should be taken into consideration when designing electronic products...tnx guys...

Well, this is true only if you are looking at making several of the same exact unit. For most hobbyists, this is not a real concern. I would suggest that you explore your options and experiment. Don't leave anything out of consideration.

One of the best things about being a hobbyist is that you don't have to be constrained by production cost concerns. It doesn't matter if some certain way of doing things is "impractical" or "expensive"...what matters is if it is functional, useful, or just plain fun.  :)

artstomp

..well thanks Culturejam for the inspiring words... :)