News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PCB program that will auto check with a schematic?

Started by brand0nized, February 20, 2014, 06:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brand0nized

Is there a PCB layout program where you can draw a schematic and then make a layout, and it would check your layout with the schematic based on the connections and components?

Sent from my LT22i using Tapatalk

midwayfair

That's exactly what programs like Eagle and Diptrace do. You draw the schematic, and the connections on the layout are then made based on that schematic.

brand0nized

So automatically rendered layouts exist?!?

Sent from my LT22i using Tapatalk

davent

If you're just going to be home etching, ExpressPCB is simple to learn, user friendly, free and way more then adequate.

You draw your schematic save and check it with the software for any illegal problems, open the PCB section, place the components you will need on the pcb, link this project to the correct schematic. Now when you click on a component pad with the net cursor or wire cursor all the other component pads connected to it will be highlighted, now the component dance begins, how to place all the components so no wires will cross and everything is connected. One of my favourite parts of this hobby.

The downside of the software is you are limited to their fabbing if you're not prepared to do it yourself.

http://www.expresspcb.com/

... and this looks like an interesting adjunct to ExpressPCB, ExpressPCB to Gerber possibilties. Downloaded the freeware the other day but haven't had much of a chance to play. Need to pay for the versions that will do the conversion but the free version appears to have some nice options.

http://www.robotroom.com/CopperConnection/Converting-Express-PCB-Files.html

dave

And no... automatic layouts aren't done by the software, the software shows the connections that need to be made, it's up to the designer to figure how the components are arranged to satisfy the needed connections.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

midwayfair

Quote from: davent on February 20, 2014, 07:13:09 PM

And no... automatic layouts aren't done by the software, the software shows the connections that need to be made, it's up to the designer to figure how the components are arranged to satisfy the needed connections.

Well, Diptrace can auto-place stuff, but I found it generally to be useful on the same level as auto-route in Eagle ...

davent

^Whoops- ExpressPCB will do neither route nor place, saves all the fun for you!
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

IsaacMoth

Express PCB is a good place to start. I used to do quick schematics on that before i tried to do the formal one on Eagle because it was so much faster. Now Eagle isn't so bad. I don't know if anyone has every messed with OrCAD but it is terrible! You need a college degree for that thing.
-Isaac
sales@mammothelectronics.com

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on February 20, 2014, 07:19:15 PM
Quote from: davent on February 20, 2014, 07:13:09 PM

Well, Diptrace can auto-place stuff, but I found it generally to be useful on the same level as auto-route in Eagle ...

Even on fancier layout programs, Auto-route really only ever works if you lay out the parts well.  The sophisticated auto-routers also rely on specifically laid out design rules.  I'm no PCB layout expert, but I generally find that all the prep work required (plus the time to clean it up) makes it about as time consuming as routing it manually; and I am happier when I put the traces where I want.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

stevie1556

Quote from: midwayfair on February 20, 2014, 07:19:15 PM

Chocolate teapot springs to mind for some reason........

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

pickdropper

Quote from: IsaacMoth on February 20, 2014, 07:54:11 PM
I don't know if anyone has every messed with OrCAD but it is terrible! You need a college degree for that thing.

I find Altium to be like that at times.  There are so many options that it can be intimidating.

But in the hands of an experienced layout person, the capabilities far exceed that of Eagle.  If I use Altium for a while, I get frustrated when I go  back to Eagle.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

rullywowr

I <3 Diptrace.   ;D

However, Diptrace's "Auto Placement", which is supposed to put components on the PCB in the best manner possible, flat out sucks.  It's totally useless IMO.  Unless you like a HUGE board with like 3 components on it, it doesn't work...at all.

Diptrace does have a cool feature called "Arrange Components" however that places all your components neatly in a pile outside your PCB dimensions.  Very useful. 

I will also say that the autorouter in DipTrace is really a nice tool.  It works wonders, as long as your components are placed logically.  The Autorouter also is useful as a PCB-design-tool to determine if your component placement needs improvement.  For example, if you run the autorouter and it can't complete, or if there are traces that are obscenely long and meandering...you know to move those components, unroute all traces, and try again.  Saves a ton of time actually, especially while you are learning how to place components.  It works leaps and bounds above Eagle's autorouter.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

RobA

I've gotta add the one I use into the mix KiCAD, http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/KICAD/KiCad+EDA+Software+Suite It's open source and I like it quite a bit better than Eagle.   Though, last time I checked using it on OS X, it was a bit of a mess. I use it under Linux and it's a great program there. The DRC (design rules check) on both the schematic capture side and the PCB layout are really good and the Gerber files upload fine with OSH Park.

One big upside for it over Eagle for me is parts construction. It's so easy to make parts in that I don't even bother looking for them elsewhere anymore. I can make them faster than I can search the web.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Tschoni

i think eagle can do this. or am i wrong? eagle includes Schematic Editor, Layout Editor, Autorouter.

i am also new to the forum. hello everbody. hope to learn a lot, your tutorials are very useful.

artstomp

..this might help...http://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/eng/page/designspark-pcb-home-page

..i also started with expresspcb..

alanp

Quote from: pickdropper on February 20, 2014, 08:02:11 PM
Even on fancier layout programs, Auto-route really only ever works if you lay out the parts well.  The sophisticated auto-routers also rely on specifically laid out design rules.  I'm no PCB layout expert, but I generally find that all the prep work required (plus the time to clean it up) makes it about as time consuming as routing it manually; and I am happier when I put the traces where I want.

+1 on this -- when I've used autoroute in the past, I've found it to be an iterative process. Autoroute, check it out, rip out all the tracks, shuffle parts around, see if that's any better with autoroute... I wind up with a mix of autoroute and manually laid tracks.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website