News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mouser for everything but.......?

Started by peAk, February 25, 2014, 11:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

So I just realized today that if I place an order for Mouser and pay the extra $1 for UPS, I get it in one day since I am in Texas. They also ship out the same day you place the order.

So I would like to order as much from them as possible now.

I have used them a couple of times but I am not sure what all they have and don't have because their site is a little overwhelming.

What components are you not going to be able to get at Mouser?

selfdestroyer

Some stuff is not a matter of if Mouser carries it or not but the price per item. Like pots, some are crazy $2.50 - $3.00 a piece. If you are like me, sometimes paying more for something is not a big deal since I need it NOW and can't wait 4 days for Tayda.

Belton bricks can not be found at Mouser but I have sent them a few emails about it to see if they can stock it at some point. There are a handful of transistors and ICs that are not stocked by Mouser also. I get 40% of my stock from Mouser and 50% from Tayda and that last 10% from Small Bear.

Just what I can think of off the top of my head.
Cody

jubal81

I'm a big Mouser fan.
What they don't have:
Through-hole JFETs common in pedals (J201, 2N5457, etc)
Delay ICs

What I buy elsewhere:
Jacks, switches, pots, LEDs

Here's a link to a thread where I share Mouser BOMs for quick project ordering:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5703.0
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

RobA

Smallbear for knobs and some of the other good stuff that you can't get anywhere else. His switches are pretty good and cheaper than Mouser equivalents.

I get pots, LED's, Ge diodes, and a couple of IC's from Tayda.

I get most TI parts from Avnet, as well as some caps (Epcos, Panasonic, Nichicon). But certainly things like TI op-amps I get at Avnet. Some Microchip parts are cheaper and in better supply at Avnet.

Vactrols, solder, and some hardware I get at Allied.

Lots of digital stuff is better at Digi-Key, especially development boards.

Some stuff for playing with circuits I get from Sparkfun and Adafruit. 
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

RobA

Speaking of buying stuff, I just needed some high voltage wire and went looking online. Prices seem pretty high out there. I ended up salvaging enough to do the job, but I'm going to be doing some tube based stuff soon and was wondering where the best place is to get these types of things.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

peAk

Thanks for your Mouser link, jubal81. Those will definitely come in handy.

I really like to buy from Smallbear to support the small business, unfortunately it takes over a week to get to me. That's why I really want to do this software inventory thing. I feel like if I had a better grasp of what I have vs. what I need, I could order from wherever and it wouldnt matter. I would be able to plan better.

Blues Healer

I buy as much as I can from Mouser, and the rest from Steve @ Smallbear.
Mouser has most of the caps and resistors ... I pay close attention to the lead spacing on the board I'm working on, and also pay attention to Mouser's price breaks, such as the Xicon metal film resistors for $4/ 200. I like Kemet MMK or Panasonic ECQ-B film caps, but Epcos has some good deals in certain values of 100 pieces.
I used to be overwhelmed somewhat by Mouser's selection, but I've gotten pretty good at narrowing searches down. Their record keeping is a big bonus, and they are prompt at shipping.
FYI, you can order some out-of-stock items if you're prepared to wait a while. FWIW, they have very good customer service.

Then there's Steve Daniels at Smallbear ... he's supplied the pedal community for years ... I don't know where he comes up with some of his stuff, but he typically offers prices that others have only in large quantities. It's true he's a little slower to ship, but I've learned to live with that.

Quote from: RobA on February 26, 2014, 12:15:37 AM
Speaking of buying stuff, I just needed some high voltage wire and went looking online. Prices seem pretty high out there. I ended up salvaging enough to do the job, but I'm going to be doing some tube based stuff soon and was wondering where the best place is to get these types of things.
If you're talking about guitar tube amps, I'd suggest Hoffman Amps, Weber Speakers, and Mojotone.
"music heals"

alanp

Opposite to me. I only buy from Mouser when I absolutely freaking have to. They charge like wounded bulls when it comes to shipping costs. (I don't mind Smallbear's shipping costs, though, dunno why. Probably because it's not a multinational.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Clayford

Maybe because you know if Steve charged $10.00 in shipping he actually paid someone a decent wage (in NY!) to pack it
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

davent

Quote from: RobA on February 26, 2014, 12:15:37 AM

Apex Jr. for high voltage PTFE Teflon.  http://www.apexjr.com/wire.html

Might have to mention you want the 600v stuff.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Blues Healer

I was looking at that Apex wire just the other day! gonna have to get some!
"music heals"

muddyfox

Quote from: selfdestroyer on February 25, 2014, 11:57:47 PM
Some stuff is not a matter of if Mouser carries it or not but the price per item. Like pots, some are crazy $2.50 - $3.00 a piece. If you are like me, sometimes paying more for something is not a big deal since I need it NOW and can't wait 4 days for Tayda.

;D ;D ;D ;D  ::) ::)

I'm sorry... LOL!
Can't help it... if I get anything from Tayda in under 4 weeks I count my blessings. Mouser, I don't even qualify for that >E70 or whatever it is. Banzai and Musikding are the quickest options for me and even if I do swallow the cost, it's still at least two weeks before I get my stuff.

Oh well...

peAk

It's hard to pass up Mouser when for about $7.00 I get it in ONE DAY.

....but I agree about Steve being cool. He's already helped me multiple times finding components and substitutions.  I am going to try and stick with Mouser & Smallbear. I just received a large pot shipment from Tayda, and while the pots were the cheapest I have seen and the shipping was relatively quick, I thought the quality was a little lacking. One of my pots was already a little scratchy sounding and some of the pots were wrong from what I ordered.

I have also used bitcheslovemyswitches (I friggin hate saying/typing that name) and they had some great prices on switches.

jkokura

Dude, Steve is the man.

When I got into this hobby, I had a few questions about parts, so I emailed the info line for Smallbear.

Shortly thereafter, I got a phone call from some guy named Steve in a noisy place. Says he's at Winter NAMM, and he got my email and thought he'd call rather than type an answer back.

I was living in Northern BC at the time. Not an inexpensive call when you're from NY, in California, calling Canada.

Anyway, point being, he's the heart and soul of that company, and he's got such a good spirit and kind manner. He's very obviously got a lot of care in him, not just business in him, and his company is stand up. Yes, some parts are more expensive, but I can't help but say that even with the additional expense I'd rather buy from a guy like that than anyone else.

Vote for Smallbear.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals