Main Menu

Ibanez CS9

Started by Bio77, June 27, 2022, 06:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox916

Look good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bio77

The schematic is attached.  I used a TL022 for the LFO in my builds not the TL062 in the schem.

wote

This is awesome! Do you have a demo? Also have you ever done the dual output on any of your CS9 builds? I am interested in building this if you ever plan on releasing the pcb and/or build notes. I've been searching online for a CS9 build for a bit when I stumbled upon on of your older posts. Anyway, great work!

Bio77

I never tried to do a stereo output.  The schematics are available and I don't think it would be difficult to implement.  It required another op amp. I just never use stereo outs, so, it was something I left out to save space.

I did a demo of the BC9, which sounds similar:
https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=33837.msg325005#msg325005

I have some boards available if you are interested.  PM me.   

diablochris6

Looking sharp, as usual. I'm a fan of the CS9 after a friend asked me to build him one because apparently John Scofield uses one. This was right before they started up with the reissues, I believe.

This and the FL9 flanger seem to revolve around the same circuit, but the LFOs have different speed ranges and the feedback loop. I wonder if there could be a happy medium in the LFO to make a twofer out of this. Then you would have the LFO delay control as well. As for the feedback loop, I would make it to where you get positive or negative feedback by running through a JFET out of different legs like on the Lovetone flange. One last tweak would be to have a blend knob that goes from 100% dry to %100 wet like Madbean's Florist. On an unrelated note...I might have to fire up Eagle...no reason at all...
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Bio77

Quote from: diablochris6 on July 23, 2022, 04:12:03 PM
Looking sharp, as usual. I'm a fan of the CS9 after a friend asked me to build him one because apparently John Scofield uses one. This was right before they started up with the reissues, I believe.

This and the FL9 flanger seem to revolve around the same circuit, but the LFOs have different speed ranges and the feedback loop. I wonder if there could be a happy medium in the LFO to make a twofer out of this. Then you would have the LFO delay control as well. As for the feedback loop, I would make it to where you get positive or negative feedback by running through a JFET out of different legs like on the Lovetone flange. One last tweak would be to have a blend knob that goes from 100% dry to %100 wet like Madbean's Florist. On an unrelated note...I might have to fire up Eagle...no reason at all...
Thanks DC! 8) I did a first version of this with the blend circuit from MB's Pork Barrel, but I never really got it to work right (link below).  Alas, Bean is way better at this than me.  This version, I wanted to strip it down but give the vibrato option. As far as blend knobs on choruses go, for me personally, I end up setting them at ~50% or 100%.

I've been looking at the FL9, recently.  I was wondering if the gate from the CS9 would be a nice addition.  I'd guess that took it out for space, but in a 1590BB, I'd like to add it.  Another thought I've had is a 2 LFO FL9.  I did the BC9, not too long ago, and it came out really good. I'd like to hear what a flanger sounds like with that set up. 

I'm using KiCad now, but if you need any flies from me to get started, I'm happy to send them.

First Version: https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=33035.msg317647#msg317647
BC9: https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=33837.msg325005#msg325005