News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ibanez CS9 Lag Control Help

Started by Bio77, July 31, 2021, 10:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

I'm working on a layout for a CS9 with Walrus Audio Julia style controls.  I believed the lag control was just a 250k pot substituted for the 220k resistor after the depth pot and before Q5.  However, I looked at the Pedal PCB build docs, which now has a schematic, and it is something completely different.  I want to implement this set up in the CS9 circuit but I'm not sure how to alter the values. I need some help from the Jedis!  Advice would be much appreciated.  8) 

CS9 Schematic

Julia Schematic

benny_profane

It seems like it's already there with the CLOCK trimmer. That block is pretty much the same (just presented differently). Although, the supply voltage is lower in the CS9.

Edit: the Julia is almost an exact copy of the CE-2. When I compared them, I only found a handful of component value differences.

Bio77

Quote from: benny_profane on July 31, 2021, 11:02:05 PM
It seems like it's already there with the CLOCK trimmer. That block is pretty much the same (just presented differently). Although, the supply voltage is lower in the CS9.
So cool!  I totally missed that! 

diablochris6

I was playing around with an old CS9 build I had that was giving me problems. Turns out, a wonky op-amp was giving me a ton of noise, but I swapped it out with a OP2134, and it was back up and running. One thing that bothered me about the build is I could hear the BBD noise fade out as the noise gate kicked in when I stopped playing. The noise gate circuit looks to have a lot in common with some of the envelope generators I've seen around the web. Those EGs have attack and decay controls roughly around where R50 and R51 are, respectively. I ended up swapping values on R51 to see if it would affect the decay time, and it worked! I dropped that 330k down as low as 12k and the BBD noise pretty much cuts out as soon as I stop holding a note. Just an interesting tidbit of discovery that someone else might want to look into or incorporate into another effect somehow.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Bio77

That's really cool, Chris!  I was planning to incorporate this gate into some other circuits.  I think a flanger would benefit greatly. Alas, work has been cutting into my circuit time, lately  ;D

Just for thread completeness, the schematic I posted here has an error in the gate.  This one is correct and verified with the exception of the chip substitutions I made: