News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Weener Wah C1 and C5 values

Started by timbo_93631, February 09, 2012, 08:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbo_93631

The cap values in the Weener Wah BOM work well for an auto-wah/envelope filter type of wah sound.  It is cool and has a nice sort of bassy throb towards the bottom middle of the sweep using those listed.  However, if you are looking for more of a vintage crybaby/vox sound try using 10nf-15nf for C1 and 8n2 to 12nf for C5.  If you like the bass qualities of the bigger values but want more of the classic wah sound lowering R4 as shown in the schematic will increase gain AND bass.  220-330ohm is good there.  I have 10nf in C1 and 8n2 in C5, and 220ohm for R4 and it seems really well balanced with alot of resonant sweet spots.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

timbo_93631

Thanks MB for moving this thread to appropriate subforum!  I was a little thick in posting it in the tech help section!
Sunday Handwound Pickups

madbean

Wasn't me. I administer three lashings for posting in the incorrect sub-forums.

Thanks a bunch for posting your mods!

jkokura

It was me. I'm kinder than Bean. Just two lashes.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

timbo_93631

Does that mean I'm getting 5 lashes?!?!   :o                        Thanks for the help!
Sunday Handwound Pickups

madbean

Quote from: timbo_93631 on February 09, 2012, 11:48:04 PM
Does that mean I'm getting 5 lashes?!?!   :o                        Thanks for the help!

Yes, but not until your birthday.

timbo_93631

Well that is coming right up!  Gonna have to do some buttcheek kegels to make sure I can withstand the ritual flogging while being forced to repeat, "I will not post to the wrong subforum again, master." 
Sunday Handwound Pickups

jkokura

This thread is turning very awkward.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

timbo_93631

LOL!  I may have gone too far with the whole "buttcheek kegels" thing, but Brian started it!
Sunday Handwound Pickups

madbean

I'm gettin a little creeped out ovah here.

timbo_93631

This is what happens when you release a weener to the masses.  Creepy.  Maybe I should have mentioned that the values mentioned at the top of the thread give the classic "Shaft" sound.  Chicka whicka!
Sunday Handwound Pickups

chordball

Do you happen to have any clips? (Of the wah, not the kegel exercises :o)

Also, for C5 did you only use 8n2 or did you include the FREQ pot and C6 as well?

kinski

So decreasing c1 cuts bass. What does INCREASING c5 do?

I'm looking for less bass on heel down, and also more treble on heel up.

timbo_93631

Increasing c5 shifts the envelope down, look at the difference in a GCB-95 schematic and a GCB-100 bass crybaby and you see that cap is a 10nf in the GCB-95 and a 68nf in the GCB-100.  Changing that cap effectively moves the center point of the frequency sweep up or down.  Changing c1 changes the size of the envelope, the distance of the frequencey sweep.   If you want more treble and less bass try subbing a smaller value cap in c5, try a 10nf or 15 nf. 
     I have a Thomas Organ Crybaby board, but my setup is the same as not using the FREQ pot, and just putting a fixed value in c5. 
Sunday Handwound Pickups

kinski

Hmm, bit confused here. The madbean PDF says C1 cuts bass when lowering the value.

Also, for C5, you said to sub a smaller value, like 10n or 15n. But the stock value is 3.9n. Thats increasing the value. Eh?

I lowered C1 to 22n and increased C5 to 15n. Its better, but I'd still like a wider sweep with less bass and more treble.