News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cardinal Tremolo V2 PCB

Started by Hefty, November 02, 2023, 04:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hefty

Just built a 1776 cardinal tremolo V2 and when I went to set the balance trim I had 1.2K ohms on Vac 2 and 39k on Vac 1. No matter how I adjusted the trim vac 2 never got over 1.4k and Vac 1 would go as high as 100k but only as low as 29k. When I disconected power to the circuit Vac 2 read 543 ohms. I looked the board over and It looks like everthing is the right parts. I get both bypass sound like I should and when I go for opical side I get a sitar like sound that my better half said sounded cool, but not what I am looking for.  Do I have a bad vactrol in the number 2 poistion. both vactrols where bought at the same time and the right numbers. I bought the works from 1776 effects( the  trimer, matched Tranys board, and optical switch kit) I bought the vactrols from them or small bear I forgot where. So do I have a bad vactrol?

midwayfair

Quote from: Hefty on November 02, 2023, 04:56:53 PM
When I disconected power to the circuit Vac 2 read 543 ohms.

That's definitely not normal, but to be really sure you'd want to desolder it from the circuit to measure. Be really careful and actually use a desolder pump or a solder wick, because you don't want to bend the legs any more than you absolutely must. After you do that, re-check the area around where the vactrol was soldered in. If you socketed the transistors, take out Q1 and make sure no sound passes in any switch position. If you get sound, then there's got to be a solder bridge most likely. But check the vactrol first.

Post pictures of the board and voltages if you're still stuck and you find out that the vactrol was fine.

Josh isn't around at all any more and I maybe only check the forum once a week so please be patient.

Hefty

Thank you for the reply, I was going to try the removal of the vactrol. I also was going to pull out the binocular stereo microscope and do a good look at my work. I did socket the tranys so the trick with pulling #1 will be on the list after I try the first two. Thank you for the help, I was hoping you would see my question. Thanks again. I will let you know when I get done doing the winter prep on the house and yard in anticpation of the cold, snowy, long winters we get up here in Northern Minnesota near the Canadian border and I get back to the fun things, like playing guitar and building more pedals. 

Hefty

Just an update, replaced the vactrol that was giving me the funky resistance numbers and I have a great sounding Tremolo. Thanks Jon for the help.