News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tube amp kit

Started by night-B, April 26, 2011, 12:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

night-B

Thanks for sharing!
I'm waiting for a great madbean pcb for a submini and I've been looking for months on a great kit from the biggest tube dealer of germany : the princeton reverb kit from tube amp doctor
http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/shop_Amp_Kits_Parts_Cabine_AMP_Kit_Blackface/AMP_Kit_Blackface_PRINCETON_Reverb_KIT_1084
All the parts are high quality, they sell jensen and celestion speakers but I'm afraid of the building doc.
They say it's not a beginner project so there might be a lack of informations in the building doc for a noob like me  ???
I dont' want to ruin a 1300$ project by doing stupid mistakes

JeffdaMaori

Good on ya, I'm sure the Tubeampdoctor kit will be top notch componentry! I haven't dealt service / emailing for advice with them but I do hope that that will be equally top in that way too.
They are certainly pricey though...

Anyway, my advice is to take your time and cross, double, triple check everything and do that all over another day.
Check out the 'Safe Start' from Weber, easy to wire up yourself:
https://taweber.powweb.com/store/safestart_layout.jpg
and:
http://www.paulrubyamps.com/info.html#FirstPowerUp

I think a mini tube amp would be cool too, I've built a "Murder One" project (photo of guts attached) from Mr. genius 'Frequency Central' and that's good fun.
0.6 watt power consumption, so after heat loss of tubes etc. I would reckon it puts out a 'smocking' 0.2 watt of 'full blast', maybe 'even' some bonecrushing 0.3 watt with some tail wind... ;D
It's good, but there's not a lot of clean to be had... it's all on 10 a grinding in a 'noise control officer's best friend' sorta way.  ::)

Another modell, probably slightly higher powered than this, by Bean would be fab.
I'm in.

I don't think building a mini amp gives you the same sweat on the face when you power it up like a tubeamp that has 450 volts on plates. It feels more like a tubepowered stompbox to do I think.

So if you wanna build a full blown tube amp you've gotta jump into the deep end somehow.

Andy

Quote from: sgmezei on April 27, 2011, 06:08:10 AM
Gobstopper, I am drooling SO hard right now. Great looking amps and cabinets.

Cheers mate. It's addictive good clean fun.

[attachment deleted by admin]

JeffdaMaori

Also: let me add that I don't think  building your own tubeamp is really cheaper than other options; by the time you've spent all getting it, shipping cost, possibly import taxes (yep, I had to pay some of that too....) etc. you're often not cheaper off than finding a decent second hand amp or so (same applies to stompbox building I think but what you get for doing it yourself is the reason why we're here... I guess.)
However, making them myself beats it still easily and soundwise I find it so much better than much of the average range stuff from the local music shop.
I'm hooked.

Andy

jtn191

mmm...a 5e3 or JTM45/Bassman would be nice  ;D

and how cool is it to play through an awesome sounding box, shrug, and go "yeah, I made that"?

JeffdaMaori

Quote from: jtn191 on April 27, 2011, 08:22:48 AM
mmm...a 5e3 or JTM45/Bassman would be nice  ;D

and how cool is it to play through an awesome sounding box, shrug, and go "yeah, I made that"?
That's so right... and also applies to the smaller stompboxes we build here, totally...

Myramyd

Yeah, I want to build one purely for the experience and satisfaction, just like with building all these pedals. I know it's not really saving much unless you consider that the new Fender Champ is $999 and you can certainly build one much cheaper than that!

But you can certainly get a Princeton, Deluxe Reverb, or Twin for cheaper new or used than building one.

That's another reason I like the concept of the Trinity kits though, since they are more unique, and if they sound like I think they will they would actually be a good value in addition to the experience.

J

gtr2

I just got around to looking at the Trinity Amps page.  Uh oh, bad idea.  I'm just finishing up a tele "relic" build and I'm loosing the will power to resist the TC15...  I left the page before I spent money I don't have.  I think DIY gassing is just as bad as the gear page level. 

just say no..repeat..just say no..repeat..
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: gtr2 on April 27, 2011, 03:20:29 PM
I just got around to looking at the Trinity Amps page.  Uh oh, bad idea.  I'm just finishing up a tele "relic" build and I'm loosing the will power to resist the TC15...  I left the page before I spent money I don't have.  I think DIY gassing is just as bad as the gear page level. 

I know how you feel. I have to keep myself off craigslist cause I drive myself crazy.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

maysink

Quote from: gtr2 on April 27, 2011, 03:20:29 PM

over at BYOC until it's GONE. TC15 kit for $300 + shipping. I hate uncle sam right now...
http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=30425
[nothing to see here]
-e

aziltz

Been looking through the Weber and Trinity sites.  I think I'd really dig the Trinity TC-15 which is basically a 15W DC30 with EF86 channel and AC30-like Top Boost Channel.

Another thing I'm liking would be a 59 Bassman build with added effects loop for an echo/reverb thingy.  Weber has this as a MOD option.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: maysink on April 28, 2011, 05:08:38 AM
over at BYOC until it's GONE. TC15 kit for $300 + shipping. I hate uncle sam right now...

uggh. i saw that. That would be great to have and its at such a great price!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

keysandguitars

I'm new to madbean, pedal building and amp building. I completed an OD2 from BYOC after having sold chromesphere my Bat Cat on ebay. He has since befriended me and shown me the light of DIY pedals. I'm amazed by everyone's knowledge and pedals that are displayed, I'd pay money for a lot of what I've seen...but won't cuz I'm going to build it.

Anyway, I purchased an Allen Encore kit (BF Vibrolux type) from David Allen at www.allenamps.com. He has kits that come with full instruction and others that come with a layout and schematic. Not really knowing much about electronics, but able to solder well enough, I decided to jump into the fire and build an amp. David's kit has 40 pages of instruction, a great color layout and full email support. He uses high quality components, hardware, switches, pots, etc, all top notch stuff from what I've learned thus far. The chassis is very nice and the faceplates look sweet. I spent 9-10 months researching which amp to build and who to buy from. I needed good instructions so it came down to Allen and www.missionamps.com. Bruce Collins and David Allen have an immense amount of positive feedback online. I tried to find negative reviews and only found one. Already, I have found David to be incredibly knowledgable, helpful and beyond friendly, just a good all-round human being. Anyway, build an amp, it's a blast and I'm sure it'll be a huge payday when it's done.

I have been taking pictures of the build and am uploading them online http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/keysandguitars/Allen%20Encore%20Kit/
I'm behind in posting, but I'm now wiring up the power tubes, I'll post more pics later tonight if I have time.

If you have electronics experience, you could easily work from a drawing and schematic. Check out his website and read the topology paragraph for each amp to see if it's of interest. I'm loving pedal building, but the amp build has been a lot of fun and a good challenge. We'll see if it fires up without smoking me out.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

mattpoole

Quote from: maysink on April 28, 2011, 05:08:38 AM

i joined the byoc board and was about to pm him about, but i talked my self out it, and am currently patting myself on the back for being responsible. :D

gtr2

I did the same thing but my login had some problems and it took 3 days till they were able to fix it.  That gave me enough time to cool down for now.  :)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jimmybjj

mission amps is really good stuff with alot of support from the owner, highly recommend. If you can go without instruction and just looking for a parts kit checkout "triode electronics"
Pcbs no longer available