News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bacon Bits in a volume pedal

Started by Marshall Arts, May 26, 2017, 08:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshall Arts

I added a modified Bacon Bits to my Boss FV500-L volume pedal. The volume pedal is stereo in and stereo out, but I never use the both, so I decided to make one of the two paths active (either just buffered or boosted, selectable via a 500kA push-pull-potentiometer). I pulled out the board with "Tuner Out" and "Minimum Volume", which is also recommended by Vertex: https://www.vertexeffects.com/blog/DIY-Volume-Pedal-Mod-FV500L

I thought I share the idea and document it with some pictures (next post) - it's a great upgrade for an otherwise already perfect pedal.

Changes to Bacon Bits: Split the two stages (buffer and Boost) after R4 and in front of R8. Did not populate parts for LED (R9) or "warm-switch" (C4, Switch) option. Socket C3 instead to manually select the right "warm" factor.

Some more information on the pots (as I measured them during the build): The EXP is a 10kB, the Volume Pots are 20kA.

Marshall Arts

Desolder the child board for min volume / tuner out:

This is, what it looks like in the end

How to wire the push/pull potentiometer (knob on the bottom, pulled=boost)

Outer appearance... had to widen the hole for the DC Jack

Scematic drawing - bridge ground on the small PCB (black line). Why did I write "AC" in the buffer box? Probably wanted to write something like "ACtive"? Nevermind, it is of course operated with DC...

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Aleph Null

Awesome! Great idea and implementation.