News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Reverb Nation or Band Camp?

Started by Jefe, March 09, 2015, 01:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jefe

Reverb Nation or Band Camp?

Hey guys, which one do you use to share your band's music? Do you have a preference? Why? What do you like about one and not the other? Do you use both? Is there a different site other than these two that I should consider as well?

I was in a hurry to share some originals from my new band, so I quickly created a Reverb Nation page & uploaded the songs, so that I could share them on our Facebook page & elsewhere. This morning I thought to myself "hey, what about Band Camp? Which one should I be using?" Etc

Thanks!

lincolnic

I promise I don't mean this in a snarky way, I just don't have time for a lengthy response: I don't know anyone who uses Reverb Nation, but everyone I know uses Bandcamp. I'd recommend it in a second.

Jefe

That's fine, thanks for your response lincolnic. No need to elaborate :-)

midwayfair

ReverbNation is solely a place to network with other musicians and host a free E-mail list, and it's second rate at both of those. You can get a free e-mail list through MailChimp and others, and most of the people I know who actually use ReverbNation are a bit Spammy. I did meet a couple good bands through it year and years ago, but that was when it was basically the only way to embed your songs on Facebook, so everyone had to use it. There's something about ReverbNation that makes anyone using it as a primary platform seem spammy and outdated to me. (I'm thinking of migrating my band's mailing list, actually.)

I love Bandcamp. It's basically the perfect model for clean but personalizable music hosting. You get your own URL, the player is intuitive, it's easy for people to click "Buy," YOU CAN'T EVEN MAKE IT LOOK CONFUSING, no ads, it creates a player when you link on FB, people can get your music in any format (and it can handle CD orders as well), and the music sounds good and accurate because it's uploaded at full resolution and played back at 192.

Jefe

Good info, thanks midwayfair. I do remember Reverb Nation being rather confusing when I was using it a few years ago, although I had no problem using it the other night - got two tracks uploaded and shared within a few minutes. RN does seem rather cheesy and overbearing.

lincolnic

Quote from: midwayfair on March 10, 2015, 02:04:53 PM
I love Bandcamp. It's basically the perfect model for clean but personalizable music hosting. You get your own URL, the player is intuitive, it's easy for people to click "Buy," YOU CAN'T EVEN MAKE IT LOOK CONFUSING, no ads, it creates a player when you link on FB, people can get your music in any format (and it can handle CD orders as well), and the music sounds good and accurate because it's uploaded at full resolution and played back at 192.

Actually, they stream at 128 (as does SoundCloud). That's the one thing I wish they'd address, but I can see it quickly becoming a gigantic bandwidth issue for them.