News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tap Tempo Tremolo

Started by Guybrush, October 20, 2013, 11:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guitarmageddon

Well that's likely going to be your problem.
Dot should be top left, where the "+" sign is.
Carefully desolder it and see where you're at.
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

Guybrush

Still no signal at point 9 I'm afraid. No grounding shorts from 9 through to 13 either. I think it's screwed :/

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Guitarmageddon

I'm assuming you flipped the opto?
It might be toast. Do you have another one or an LDR and a LED you can use instead?
One other thing, that trimmer beside the opto is the opamp gain control, you've tried adjusting it?
Also, while the opto is out, try tacking a jumper across 8 and 9 then audio probe to see if signal reaches the output.
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

Guybrush

Yep I flipped the opto and I've adjusted the trimmers but still nothing.

Good news (I think). I snipped the opto out and joined points 8&9 together as you suggy and I got clean signal at both points.

I don't have another opto so I soldered an LED to two of the opto pads (the pair with the + sign) and it lights up and goes out in time with the external rate LED. Unfortunately I'm out of LDRs so will need to get some new ones ordered before I can find out if this will solve it. Do you know what tolerance I'll need?

Cheers!

Guitarmageddon

I'd go with any old thing, they're not especially well calibrated in my experience. Anything that goes 100ohm-1M should cover it. Tayda has them.
When speed and a particular range is necessary designers tend to specify an optocopouler like the VTL in this build, but I've built plenty of good trems with LDR/Led combos.
I've got a few LDRs here, pm me your address and I'm send you a couple of candidates.
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

Guybrush

That's incredibly kind. Thank you.  PM on its way!

midwayfair

If you're ever unsure which leg of an optocoupler is the cathode, use your multimeter on the diode setting. The LED will give you a forward voltage only when you have the cathode to the black probe. Or you can stick it on a breadboard and put a resistor and LED in series with it. Flip the vactrol until you get the LED to light up. Then you know which direction the current is flowing.

Guybrush

Great tips! Cheers Jon.