News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sound quality on Etched PCB's??

Started by sdlogan9, June 18, 2014, 08:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlogan9

Hey Madmen

How do you guys feel the sound quality is on a Etched PCB verses a production version?  I have been etching lately and just thinking to my self that these traces look really thin and wondering if they will not sound as good or maybe even be a bit more noisy?

Any opinions on this?

-Shane

pickdropper

It has a lot more to do with the layout of the board than whether or not it is etched or fabbed.

Most pedals don't consume a lot of current and don't need huge traces.

All things being equal, I prefer fabbed boards because they are easier to work with and more consistent.  You also have the advantage of being able to pour ground on the top and the bottom, which can sometimes help bring the noise floor down.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jkokura

Shane,

There is no evidence anywhere to suggest that an etched board and a manufactured board of the same circuit sound any different from each other. In fact, the only difference between them is that one has the traces covered, and the other does not. Otherwise, the copper and the traces are the same.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Muadzin

Personally I've never heard any differences between fabbed, etched or vero/perf. I prefer fabbed and vero because perf is evil and soldering on etched boards has never really worked for me. Somehow the solder refuses to flow right.

twin1965

Quote from: pickdropper on June 18, 2014, 09:08:20 PM
It has a lot more to do with the layout of the board than whether or not it is etched or fabbed.

This.

Some types of circuit require a good layout. I.e LFO based circuits like phasers. A poor layout can cause several problems such as ticking, hiss and noise. There are plenty of well laid out vero projects out there that sound great.

I've never noticed a difference in sound quality when working on etched, fabbed or vero boards. If there are any issues then it's probably down to a poor layout or sloppy soldering.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

televisiondown

I don't know about the sound quality of an etched board because I've yet to have any luck with one...including 3PDT daughter boards. Very disappointing. I'm sticking to vero and pcbs.
"Be more constructive with your feedback, please" ~Jemaine Clement

mmlee

Quote from: Muadzin on June 19, 2014, 11:02:33 AM
Personally I've never heard any differences between fabbed, etched or vero/perf. I prefer fabbed and vero because perf is evil and soldering on etched boards has never really worked for me. Somehow the solder refuses to flow right.

If you leave the toner on after etching until you are actually ready to solder it'll keep the copper traces nice and clean so that the solder will flow easily, otherwise a quick scrub with some wire wool will get it flowing again.  I have to do this with vero sometimes too.
>Marcus

peterc

I know that my etched boards and the commercial pcbs I have made definitely sound the same, the factory and I buy our pcb stock from the same supplier! Never heard a difference between the prototypes and the final boards

Peter
Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

Govmnt_Lacky

Haberdasher

electrons don't know the difference between copper traces on an etched or fabbed pcb ;)
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

pickdropper

Quote from: Haberdasher on June 19, 2014, 04:50:53 PM
electrons don't know the difference between copper traces on an etched or fabbed pcb ;)

Yep.  If they sound different, it's because the layouts are different.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

sdlogan9

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on June 19, 2014, 04:40:51 PM
Should this be on TGP?  ::)

Just an honest question.  The traces are pretty thin and small.

There is definitely a difference in sound when using good quality guitar cables..  Shorter or longer cables... 

Just thought I would ask.  I have not had the chance to build a etch and a production PCB and compare them.

I'm a newbie what can I say:)

-Shane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk